Trusted Contributor

I'm on a quest to find a long-time recipe that somehow I have lost. Maybe someone here has the one, or a similar one. It was predominantly whole pecans, whole candied cherries, and candied fruit hold together with a egg/flour mixture. Baked in a loaf pan rather than a tube pan. I haven't used this recipe in years but I have a hankering to make one this year.

Super Contributor

This recipe could be adapted by using candied cherries in place of some of the candied fruit. I used slightly smaller disposable foil loaf pans and it made 4.

FRUITCAKE

Makes about 12 cups batter

1 cup vegetable oil

1 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed

4 eggs

3 cups flour

2 lbs chopped mixed candied fruit

1 cup seedless raisins

3 cups chopped pecans

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

2 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp ground allspice

1 tsp ground cloves

1 cup orange juice

Heat oven to 275 degrees. Combine oil, sugar and eggs and beat vigorously with spoon for 2 minutes. Sift 2 cups of the flour with the baking powder, salt and spices. Stir into the oil mixture alternately with the fruit juice. Mix the last cup of flour with the fruits and nuts. Pour batter over the fruit, mixing thoroughly. Turn into two 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pans greased and lined with parchment paper. Place a pan of water on lower oven rack. Bake cakes 2 1/2-3 hours. After baking, let cakes stand 15 minutes before removing from pans. Cool thoroughly on racks without removing paper. When cool, remove paper. If desired, cakes can be wrapped in cloth dampened with brandy or wine. Wrap in Saran, foil and ziplock bag and store to age. Every week check the cloth to make sure it is still damp, and pour on more brandy if needed.

Contributor

Fruitcake Cherry Pecan Cake (received email with this recipe)

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 jar (16 ounces) pineapple preserves
1 pound candied cherries
4 cups pecan halves

Preheat oven to 250. Grease and flour a 10 tube pan. Cut cherries in half and set aside.
Whisk together flour and salt and set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar
together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each.

Add vanilla and lemon extract and mix well. Add flour/salt and mix until combined. Stir

in pineapple preserves, cherries, and pecans. Pour into greased and floured tube pan. Bake
at 250 for 3 hours (yes, 3 hours) or more until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out
clean. (Should only take 3 hours). Cool cake completely in pan. Remove cake from pan and transfer to a cake plate. Store cake covered. It does not have to be refrigerated.