Honored Contributor

I'm looking for a recipe for a side dish........

We've been invited to a Christmas dinner party. When I asked what I could bring, the hostess suggested a side dish. She said a favorite vegetable recipe. I have a few but was hoping someone could post their favorite, tried and always a hit, recipe. TIA.......
~H~
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm looking for a recipe for a side dish........

Maybe a corn pudding or broccoli casserole. If you google, you will find tons. I found this one. I would use Panko breadcrumbs instead of crackers.

Ingredients
  • 3 heads broccoli, cut into florets (about 8 cups)
  • ½ cup butter
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole milk or heavy cream
  • ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground black or white pepper
  • ? teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups crushed crackers
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 13 x 9 - inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Add broccoli florets to a large heavy-bottomed stockpot of boiling water. Cook for 3-5 minutes and then drain broccoli from the water. Set aside.
  3. Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour until well-combined, then whisk in milk, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and 1 cup of Monterrey Jack cheese. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to whisk until sauce simmers slightly around the edges and has thickened slightly. Stir in sour cream.
  4. Arrange broccoli in casserole dish and then pour cream sauce over broccoli. Top with cheddar cheese and crushed crackers.
  5. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes.
  6. Serve warm.
Esteemed Contributor

Balsamic Roasted Vegetables

Large chopped vegetables, enough to stuff the baking dish

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 450

Place everything in a baking dish and mix well

Roast for 20 minutes

Add garlic (if using) and stir

Roast 15-20 minutes

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

I love this recipe, especially during the holidays, because you can make it a day ahead, which also enhances flavors and it doesn't go whimpy. It will probably be one of the more healthful dishes on the table as well. It is so darn good!

Grated Carrot & Raw Beet Salad

Source: food.com

4 large carrots, peeled & trimmed

3 beats, peeled and trimmed

2 garlic cloves, finely minced or 1 tsp garlic paste

1 Tbs olive oil

1 Tbs balsamic vinegar (I prefer light to dark balsamic)

1 tsp strong Dijon mustard

Tobasco sauce or chili pepper flakes to taste

Smoked or regular sea salt

Fresh ground pepper

Optional: Orange for additional acidity, chopped apple & lettuce leaves for lining dish

1. Grate carrots and beets using grater with large holes or grate using a processor.

2. Place the rest of the main ingredients, from garlic to black pepper, in a large bowl. Add carrots, beets and toss until well combined.

3. Add any desired add-ins and toss again.

4. Taste, adjust seasoning and let stand for 30 minutes. **I prefer making this a day ahead so that flavors fully develop; otherwise, you can taste each ingredient as if it was just tossed in.

5. Just prior to serving, if you wish some additional acidity, squeeze half an orange over the salad, then toss and place in 2 quart dish and add apple if you wish. I like to use a glass dish/bowl, because I can line the dish with my favorite lettuce, then added the carrot and beet mixture for a nice presentation.

Honored Contributor

Yum! Thank you ALL for taking time to share your recipes. I want to test each one before the dinner; my husband will help, and then decide which one will work best. They all sound delicious and I can't wait to try! Again, thanks!
~H~
Respected Contributor

If you want to do green beans, this is not really a recipe, but it's the way I do them for larger gatherings. I buy fresh green beans and pluck the ends off and add some quartered new potatoes. Earlier that day, I sautee two chopped onions until they are brown, and I bake about a pound (or more) of bacon til it's crispy, then crumble it. I use the pressure cooker and cook the green beans and potatoes, with some of the already-cooked bacon and onions. When it's done, I put it into a pretty dish, sprinkle the rest of the bacon and onions on top and serve.

Trusted Contributor

This is a favorite of my dad's...........and at work............Cool

Tomato Pie

Ingredients

4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced

10 fresh basil leaves, chopped (I HAVE USED DRIED, AND CILANTRO)

1/2 cup chopped green onion ( I HAVE USED CHOPPED YELLOW ONIONS)

1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell

1 cup grated mozzarella (I HAVE USED AN ITALIAN BLEND OF CHEESES)

1 cup grated cheddar

1 cup mayonnaise

Salt and pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.(IF TOMATOES ARE JUICY, I HAVE DRAINED FOR SEVERAL HOURS)

Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.(OR AT ROOM TEMP FOR BETTER CUTTING AND SERVING)

This is another recipe that I am asked to bring all of the time........and I have to make for a dinner on Monday.......Cool

Grape Salad Recipe

Ingredients

2 pounds red seedless grapes

2 pounds green seedless grapes

8 ounces cream cheese

8 ounces sour cream

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping:

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 cup chopped pecans (I ALWAYS USE WALNUTS, AND MAKES FOR A TOTALLY DIFFERENT TASTE)

Directions

1. Clean, rinse and pat dry the grapes and place in a large bowl Mix together in another bowl the cream cheese, sour cream and sugar and vanilla together.

2. Stir the mixture into the grapes .

3. Pour into a serving bowl.

4. In another bowl, mix the brown sugar and chopped pecans together Sprinkle the topping over the grape mixture and pat lightly (do NOT mix into the salad).

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

forrestwolf, I made your Tomato Pie this summer and it was delicious!

Trusted Contributor

On 12/9/2014 vabreeze said:

forrestwolf, I made your Tomato Pie this summer and it was delicious!

Thanks......{#emotions_dlg.blush} It always seems to be a hit........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

Aunt Bertie's scalloped potatoes! Just a perfect scalloped potato recipe. It's easy to find I.the search bar on the forums.