Respected Contributor

Need Sugar-Free Candy Recipes Please

If anyone has a tried and true sugar-free candy recipe, please post it here. I am making candy to give my cousins as gifts and I have one cousin who is a diabetic. I hate to leave her out, but if I can't find any good recipes, I can always fill a container with sugar-free store-bought candy as a last resort.

Thanks in advance!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Sugar-Free Candy Recipes Please

TG, I googled for you and there are numerous recipes online (with ratings) if you want to give it a try. I don't know anyone who has made sugar-free candy, but there are some tried and true products out there.

DH likes Aplets & Cotlets, so I sometimes buy their sugar free line for him.

Maybe you could substitute something else for your relative... a nice scarf, something you know she likes?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
New Contributor

The best site I go to is:

RecipeGoldmine.com/nosugaradded/nsa.htm

Hope you enjoy this site as much as my family does..

Barbara Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I would just buy them and forget about it.

Honored Contributor

I am not diabetic but I love the Russell Stover sugar free chocolates. Just bought some this past week-end in a big box for a gift. Every day I have one their Carmel's as a treat. They are hard to find in the store so when Wal-Mart or other stores have some I buy many since most folks like them the best. Got the boxed one at Walgreen's.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

This looks interesting.....

SWEET POTATO CANDY

Candy Ingredients:

•1½ cups cooked sweet potato (1 or 2 sweet potatoes)
•2 cups arrowroot starch
•1 cup coconut sugar
•1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
•¼ teaspoon almond extract
•½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
•1½ teaspoon coconut milk

Filling Ingredients
•¼ cup raw almond butter
•2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
•dash of sea salt
•? cup unsweetened, shredded coconut

INSTRUCTIONS

1.To cook the sweet potato: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Poke the sweet potato(es) all over with a fork. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Flip over and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing the skins and measuring out 1 ½ cups.

2.Combine the remaining candy ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Knead the mixture until smooth.

3.Sprinkle a clean cutting board or counter with arrowroot starch. Use a rolling pin to flatten the sweet potato dough into a large rectangle.

4.In a small bowl combine the almond butter, maple syrup and salt. Spread the filling over the dough. Sprinkle with the coconut. Roll the dough up, like a jelly roll. Place in the fridge for an hour.

5.Slice the dough into pinwheels and serve.

NUTRITION

Serving size: 1 candy Calories: 51 Fat: 1 Carbohydrates: 10 Sodium: 9 Fiber: 1 Protein: .5

The candy can be cut into small pieces and enjoyed without the filling.

Trusted Contributor

Thank You!

Honored Contributor

I know your heart is in the right place OP. But keep in mind just because it is made ""sugar-free"" doesn't mean that it won't (sometime drastically) raise a diabetics blood sugar.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

On 12/9/2014 Zhills said:

This looks interesting.....

SWEET POTATO CANDY

Candy Ingredients:

•1½ cups cooked sweet potato (1 or 2 sweet potatoes)
•2 cups arrowroot starch
•1 cup coconut sugar
•1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
•¼ teaspoon almond extract
•½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
•1½ teaspoon coconut milk

Filling Ingredients
•¼ cup raw almond butter
•2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
•dash of sea salt
•? cup unsweetened, shredded coconut

INSTRUCTIONS

1.To cook the sweet potato: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Poke the sweet potato(es) all over with a fork. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Flip over and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing the skins and measuring out 1 ½ cups.

2.Combine the remaining candy ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Knead the mixture until smooth.

3.Sprinkle a clean cutting board or counter with arrowroot starch. Use a rolling pin to flatten the sweet potato dough into a large rectangle.

4.In a small bowl combine the almond butter, maple syrup and salt. Spread the filling over the dough. Sprinkle with the coconut. Roll the dough up, like a jelly roll. Place in the fridge for an hour.

5.Slice the dough into pinwheels and serve.

NUTRITION

Serving size: 1 candy Calories: 51 Fat: 1 Carbohydrates: 10 Sodium: 9 Fiber: 1 Protein: .5

The candy can be cut into small pieces and enjoyed without the filling.

Thanks, this recipe sounds delicious! Sweet potatoes are very good for you too. Smile

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James