Honored Contributor

Italian Sausages w/peppers & onions

In looking in one of my not-looked-at-often cookbooks, I found a recipe I might try. This would be right up my husband's alley, and for some reason, I might want to try this.

Do any of you have similar recipes for this meal? It's not a favorite thing of mine, the sausages, but it might be good. ???

Any suggestions for me on this meal?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Italian Sausages w/peppers & onions

It's a regular on the menu here. Sometimes we have it with just crusty bread & a salad but sometimes just to change it up I serve it over mashed potatoes and other times I buy canned potatoes and cut them up into bite size pieces and add them in when it's heating. One time I bought chicken sausage by mistake and it was still good. If you don't like sausage of any kind you could make tiny meatballs and use those in place of the sausage. I don't know what recipe you're looking at and whether or not it includes chicken broth but I always add enough in if I'm putting it over mashed potatoes so it's got plenty of juice to keep the potatoes moist.

Honored Contributor

Shaggygirl, thanks, I'll add that to the recipe card, so that I know there's alternatives I could try. I appreciate the suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Every once in a while DH will fry up some Uncle Charlie (they're the best) sweet Italian sausages with peppers, mushrooms, and onions! Oh, this is heaven! And the aroma when you walk in the door -- yummy! Sometimes we have mashed potatoes with them. But this meal is a star no matter what you put with it!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Not Italian sausage, but I just use smoked sausage (I think Echrich brand), I saute onions, green peppers, and garlic in a tablespoon or so of EVOO, add in the sliced sausages till cooked through and have a bit of color on them. In separate pan I cook Orzo pasta, drain it and add to the pan of sausage/peppers and onions. It's very tasty, quick to prepare, and a cheap meal. We don't have this very often, but hubby & I both like it, for a change.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Publix makes a great Italian sausage in links just a bit larger than hot dogs. I get those and DH cooks them on the grill then we either have them with pasta that is covered with butter & olive oil then cheese and basil. O r we have them in spaghetti sauce over pasta or just as a sandwich on a roll with onions and peppers. Sausage is a delicious way to stretch the budget as it is much less pricey than beef.

Esteemed Contributor

Did I miss the recipe?

I don't do anything fancy. I cover the bottom of an 8x8 Pyrex with pepper and onion strips, top with a pack of italian sausage links and bake at 400.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I love ital. sausage with beautiful colorful peppers & onions, especially good on a great sub bun too.

Honored Contributor

I usually make sausage and peppers for parties. It's always a big hit. I cut the sausage in bite size pieces.

I use sausage, onion, and then I'll put a few tomatoes in there to make it juicy.

Sausage is a treat because I don't usually eat it.

Respected Contributor

This is a classic and very easy.

Typically, you use Italian sausage, sweet or hot. I like the sweet.

For six servings (can be reduced)

24 oz Italian sausage

1 onion sliced

1 red or orange or yellow bell pepper (I prefer yellow) sliced

1 green bell pepper sliced

4 cloves garlic, minced

approx 2 Tbs good olive oil

1/4 cup white wine

Saute the sausage on all sides to brown, remove from pan

Add in the peppers and onions, cook until softened a bit

Add back the sausage and add the wine, cover and simmer 15-20 min until the sausage is cooked inside. Some people cut up the sausage into serving sizes. Season with fresh cracked black pepper. You can change this up by using different color peppers, and if you like it on pasta, you can cut up the sausage into slices and add in some crushed whole San Marzano tomatoes to make a thick almost-sauce.

Very good on pasta or hoagie rolls.