Valued Contributor

Can I Substitute Splenda For Sugar in My Baking Recipes?

I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I'm not having too much trouble not eating candy, cakes, cookies, etc. But, on those special occasions when I would ordinarily bake for my family, I do look forward to indulging in some homemade treats. It's sad thinking I'll never be able to eat them again.

I was wondering if Splenda can be substituted for the granulated sugar in those recipes?

Also, is there something that can be substituted for the brown sugar?

Thank youSmile

Honored Contributor

Re: Can I Substitute Splenda For Sugar in My Baking Recipes?

Yes, I have some books on using it. Marlene Koch has books out on using it. George S does too. I can never remember his last name. He has recipes in Food Network (he's someone along with his family that lost a lot of weight going low carb.) Marlene Koch has 3 books I know of. Check amazon.com and read. Go to Splenda web site and read there for answers too.

There's so much out in the stores now for you to choose from. My dad was Diabetic, so I've seen a lot of stuff I had to use for him.

Good luck, it can be done, and tastefully.

Honored Contributor

On 11/26/2014 qualitygal said:

Yes, I have some books on using it. Marlene Koch has books out on using it. George S does too. I can never remember his last name. He has recipes in Food Network (he's someone along with his family that lost a lot of weight going low carb.) Marlene Koch has 3 books I know of. Check amazon.com and read. Go to Splenda web site and read there for answers too.

There's so much out in the stores now for you to choose from. My dad was Diabetic, so I've seen a lot of stuff I had to use for him.

Good luck, it can be done, and tastefully.

His name is George Stella can you look on Pintrest he posts there often

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I have with good results - good luck!

Respected Contributor

Calista, Prevention Magazine has recipe magazines for diabetics and they test their recipes with real and artificial sweeteners. For some, Splenda actually raised blood sugar: be sure to check yours and learn how you respond. It may or may not affect you. That being said, most of their desserts are made with real sugar and fruit, and it's a matter of portion control....and by the way, they look delicious. Poodlepet
Respected Contributor

Splenda makes a brown sugar substitute but it is not a one for one substitution.

I have tried using regular Splenda to bake a small cheesecake for my diabetic mother. A lot of the flavor in sweets comes from sugar. Without sugar and using only Splenda, there was no real taste even with vanilla. Also, not using sugar affects the volume of the dessert that you are making.

I worked with the Splenda people. In the end, I had to add 3X's the amount of vanilla in the cheesecake to give it some flavor. Also, I had to add some flour to increase the volume of the cheesecake.

The Splenda website has recipes for desserts such as chocolate chip cookies.

Honored Contributor

Look in to WheyLow their "sugar" is very good and according to their website

Whey Low is extremely easy to use since it is an exact One-for-One Replacement for table sugar in Volume, Weight and Sweetness. So, if a recipe calls for one cup of sugar, just use one cup of Whey Low.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Yes ! I've been using it as a sugar replacement for years in everything I used to use sugar in.

Trusted Contributor

Truvia might be a healthier choice.

Super Contributor

yes, it has the same volume as sugar in recipes and is equal in measurement. I use it all the time.