Respected Contributor
I have made butter before, but in a few places, I have read that you are supposed to let the cream sit at room temperature so that it sours ( 6-8 hrs). Then you whip it. I wanted to double check the recipes, and now I can't find them anywhere. Does anybody know about this? Ultimately, I am making honey butter for homemade bread. Thanks, Poodlepet
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Making butter: a question

Here is a website explaining it. It really has changed since we churned butter!

http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/12/how-to-make-butter.html

Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

Thank you Zhills! That's what I was looking for....but I'm curious: how has it changed since you made it? What I found interesting is that I kNOW I have seen recipes that tell you just to let the cream sit- they said nothing about using cultures....but that's why I wanted to see a recipe becoming a use it's been at least two years since I investigated this topic. I am going to try this in the processor thought: the last time I made it in the strand mixer, it was a wee bit messy?? Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

Does QVC sell butter churns now.....lol

Honored Contributor

Never made butter before. You could always buy Kerry Gold Butter to save some time. It's made from grass fed cows. It's really good. They only place they carry where I live is Wal-Mart. They have the gold foil salted or the silver foil wrapped unsalted butter. I do keep a stick in a butter boat on the counter so it's ready to use when we want some.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Homemade-Butter-and-Buttermilk-242047

Respected Contributor

Nightowlz, I love Kerrygold: you made me laugh. If you can't find it in the grocery store, go to Nightowlz house-you are sure to find some there! Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

We always let milk set until it became "clabber" before we churned it. Never used any cultures. Never made sweet butter either. Once the milk clabbered, you could churn it just by shaking it in the same jar until the milk and cream (curds and whey) separate and the butter forms on top.

We had one of these when I was young.

but I made butter in a quart jar by shaking to show the kids how to make butter. Shake it while you watch TV, doesn't take too long. I have not used a mixer because I didn't want to do a butter cleanup! Hope your butter turns out great. Keep us posted. There really is nothing like fresh butter!

P.S. You can drink both the clabber or the buttermilk after the butter is made. Very good with cornbread. Don't waste your fresh buttermilk. It's good, not like store bought at all.

Respected Contributor

Zhills, you would gag over this, but go onto the Lehman's allegedly all Amish made website and see what they are charging for that time-worn device that you are showing. Seriously, I was going to get one for my daughter, and then I saw the price!!!!! Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

Lehmans has become a tourist trap and everything there is overpriced now. Too bad. When I was little we lived on a farm and my Mom made butter in the electric mixer. She would let the milk sit until the cream rose to the top, then scoop the cream to make butter.she did not let it sit until it soured, that would have ruined the milk. After the butter got somewhat solid she would wrap it in cheesecloth and knead the salt through it in the sink as a lot more liquid would come out then. The liquid is buttermilk.
Trusted Contributor

Once, I shook a container of heavy cream upon taking it out of the fridge thinking I was blending it well just in case there was any separation. When I opened the carton, I saw some solids along the top of the cream. Was that butter???!!!! :~D