Respected Contributor

Anyone have a Good Tried and True Lemon Sponge Cake recipe?

My grandmother had the best but she never used a recipe. My mom use to write things down as she made things but being she wasn't crazy about a sponge cake she never wrote that one down. My grams favorites(and ours) were her funny cake and her custard pie(mom made sure to copy them down) which I have posted both here several times.

If anyone has a tried and true lemon sponge cake they would care to share I would appreciate it, thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have a Good Tried and True Lemon Sponge Cake recipe?

Unless you want a tall one in a tube pan, the one we always use in our family is Julia Child's genoise cake, flavored with lemon. It was my dad's favorite (he had orange flavor though, as orange was his absolute favorite taste.) It's dense and not very light. (Don't forget to beat in all the melted butter, like I did last time, making it over at a friend's house. Embarrassment!)

A tall sponge cake (in the tube pan)---a good recipe.

Valued Contributor

I looked at the recipe and am confused; it does not have any melted butter as an ingredient. Or were you referring to the Julia Child recipe? That isn' the one you linked. It sounded it good, btw!

Respected Contributor

thank you. The one my gram made was only 1 layer, was a decent height, not flat and had a sponge like bottom or creamy sponge like with a cake part on the top. It didn't need any frosting other than to sprinkle powdered sugar on it. She made it in a round 8 or 9 inch fairly deep cake pan but a single layer.

Esteemed Contributor

Lemon Sponge Cake from Betty Crocker

The ingredients:

1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 egg yolks
6 egg whites
1 ½ cups sugar
1/3 cup cold water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
½ teaspoon cream of tartar

Betty’s recipe also calls for 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind, if desired, but I didn’t add it.

First, heat your oven to 325 degrees.

Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

Separate the egg yolks and whites. (Have you noticed that with very fresh eggs, this is sometimes difficult?)

Beat the egg yolks in a small mixer bowl until they are very thick and lemon-colored. Pour the beaten yolks into a large bowl and beat in the sugar gradually.

Beat the dry ingredients in slowly, on low speed, alternately with the water and flavorings. n another large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff. Gradually and gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the beaten whites.

Pour all this carefully into an ungreased tube pan, and bake about an hour.Turn the pan upside down with the tube over the neck of a funnel or bottle, cool. Remove from the pan and be ready for appreciative murmurs.

Respected Contributor

thank you, did copy this and will try it since I love a lemon sponge cake but still looking for one that looks like the one I had at home. It was a one layer cake in a single layer 8 or 9 inch round cake pan. While it was only 1 layer it wasn't what you would call a flat cake by any means. You could see 2 layers of different textured layers but was only 1 layer, was so good. I am probably not describing this very well.

Respected Contributor

Reddhead, I went there, copied this and it looks delicious and will certainly try this one.The picture alone wants me to try this one, thank you very much.

Respected Contributor

My grandmother never made her sponge cake in a tube pan. Instead, she lined the pan with greased wax paper and poured the sponge cake batter in a 9 x 13 pan. The cake was cut into squares, frosted on 4 sides and topped then rolled in coconut. WoW, I can taste them now. I only have my mom's original 9 or 12 egg sponge cake, that cake gets huge in a tube pan and is truly moist but my grandmother's recipe is long gone and I'm not even sure it was ever written down.

Good Luck finding what you want, I believe the 2 layer part means you're talking about the cake and the crust like moist part on the top????

Respected Contributor

yes, is what I meant to say, is only one layer but looks like 2 layers since one is the cake and the other the sponge part. I am sure yours made in a 9 x 13 pan is great, love coconut so that sounds wonderful to me but for Christmas I am going to try the one Reddhead posted.