Super Contributor

Cream Cheese Penquin Appetizers

/></p> <p> </p> <p><strong>Ingredients:</strong><br/>  </p> <p>18 jumbo black olives, pitted <br/>  <br/>  1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened<br/>  <br/> 18 small black olives<br/>  <br/> 1 - 2 carrots (I use baby carrots sometimes - amt. varies)<br/>  </p> <p><strong>Directions:</strong></p> <p>1.  Cut a slit from top to bottom, lengthwise, into the side of each jumbo olive. Carefully insert about 1 teaspoon of cream cheese into each olive. Slice the carrot into eighteen 1/4 inch thick rounds; cut a small notch out of each carrot slice to form feet. Save the cut out piece and press into center of small olive to form the beak. If necessary cut a small slit into each olive before inserting the beak.</p> <p>2.  Set a big olive, large hole side down, onto a carrot slice. Then, set a small olive onto the large olive, adjusting so that the beak, cream cheese chest and notch in the carrot slice line up. Secure with a toothpick. Cut small triangles to create the bowties.</p> <p>Instead of the carrot bowtie, I use a small piece of fresh chive to wrap a scarf - too cute!</p> <p>Make a double batch - they go fast!</p> <p> </p>

Super Contributor

Re: Cream Cheese Penquin Appetizers

That's penguin - can't edit my typo!

Respected Contributor

Too cute! I need a vegan appetizer and could use vegan cream cheese. Love the chive idea too, thanks.

Super Contributor

I was a guest at a friends for Thanksgiving a few years ago. Her younger daughter made these. She had them on a plate out as an appetizer, along with a few other things. Presentation was amazing. It was one of the first things that caught my eye as I walked in. These we delicious.

Trusted Contributor

Really really cute but time-consuming to construct, I would imagine! Doubt I have the patience.

Trusted Contributor

Super cute!!
Trusted Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.wub} Love these little penquins, made them last year and they were a big hit!! They really don't take a lot of time. I gather all the ingredients and just go for it. They are fun to do.

I used Boursin cheese for the filling. Cutting up the carrots was easy too. I even made a cute little igloo to go with them. Have a wonderful Holiday!

Regular Contributor

I made these last year for Christmas. They were a big hit on the appetizer table. They are a little tedious to make but they are so cute and they even taste good.

Super Contributor

lOn 11/24/2014 gonnab said:

Really really cute but time-consuming to construct, I would imagine! Doubt I have the patience.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=socially+awkward+olive+penguins

I think it goes pretty quick once you organize and get into production mode. Takes about 20 minutes for a double batch . . .watch the video which includes using a baggie for piping the cream cheese. I love to play with food!