Regular Contributor

20 lb turkey in a Oster roaster oven.....anyone done this?

Ok- coming down to the wire here on Turkey Day. I have my fresh almost 20 Ilb bird from Trader Joe's. I have borrowed a large Oster roaster to try and keep my oven available for side dishes.

Anyone use this roaster? Any tips or tricks? I did read that it's really important NOT TO PEEK during the cooking time. It's hard for those small roaster to regain temp if you take the lid off. It's a good tip- I do like to check on things but I will be good and leave it alone. Anything else to be aware of?

Thanks-

Super Contributor

Re: 20 lb turkey in a Oster roaster oven.....anyone done this?

I have a Oster roaster oven I bought last year at target I put my turkey in one of those turkey roasting bags read the directions on the turkey per pound set the roaster to the temperature and just let it cook.

It was wonderful so tender going to do the same thanksgiving. Had no problems and I did peek at the turkey enjoy your turkey. Happy Thanksgiving.

Regular Contributor

good to know you can use a bag - great idea. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Honored Contributor

I used to use a roaster oven for the sides and put the turkey in the big oven. Just the opposite - but I can't see how that would matter.

Honored Contributor

My sister always uses her Nesco Roaster (same thing) when she makes her Thanksgiving turkey, in order to have full use of the kitchen oven for other things. Her turkey is moist and flavorful. The only drawback I noticed is that it didn't get that shiny, brown, crispy skin.

Respected Contributor

I put a heavy towel over the door since it is not so well insulated.

Honored Contributor

I do my 18 pounder in a Nesco. Be sure it fits!