Respected Contributor

Anyone have a tried and true recipe for Candied Yams? My family loves mine but I'm ready for a change. I tried the St.Clair Dutch Crust Casserole and I'm the only one that liked it. They say they prefer mine. TIA

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Super Contributor

I'm going to try Ree Drummond's recipe this year, but the canned yam recipe has always been a big hit in our family.

Princella Praline Yams

29-oz can Princella Cut Yams
1/3 c chopped pecans
1/3 c coconut
1/3 c firmly packed brown sugar
3 T flour
3 T butter, melted

Heat oven to 350 deg. F. Place yams in ungreased 1-1/2-qt. casserole or baking dish. In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients; blend well. Sprinkle over yams. Bake at 350 deg. F for 35-40 min. or until bubbly. 7 servings.

Ree Drummond’s Sweet Soul 'Taters

Sweet Potatoes:
4 to 5 medium sweet potatoes, washed
1 c granulated sugar
1 c milk
1 t salt
1 t vanilla extract
2 eggs
Butter, for greasing dish

Topping:
1 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c all-purpose flour
6 T butter
1 c chopped pecans

Special equipment: a pastry cutter

For the sweet potatoes: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Bake the sweet potatoes until fork-tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the potatoes and raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.

Slice the sweet potatoes in half and let them cool slightly. Scoop out the innards, place into a large bowl and give them a good mash, leaving some texture to the potatoes--no need to mash completely. Add the granulated sugar, milk, salt, vanilla extract and eggs. Stir and mash the mixture around--you don't want them to be perfectly smooth.

Butter a 2-quart baking dish, pour in the potatoes and smooth out the top.

For the topping: Combine the brown sugar and flour in a bowl. Throw in the butter and with a pastry cutter, cut together until thoroughly combined. Add the pecans and combine until the topping is nice and crumbly. Sprinkle the crumb mixture all over the top of the potatoes.

Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. 10 servings

Honored Contributor

I like plain and simple baked yams. No junk. Oh and I do NOT care for Ree Drummond!

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I don't care for this sort of thing, but I cannot help wondering why not just make them the way the family likes them. It sounds like they've been abundantly clear about that. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but I guess I just don't understand - they tell you exactly what they like but you want to make something else instead?

Respected Contributor
Oh,and the OP did not ask anyone's thoughts on Rhee Drummond,....she is just trying her recipe for sweet potatoes....sheesh!!!. I will say I have enjoyed her recipes and have had many compliments on them. I think it's fun to try new things . My mom would make the favorites and try just one new thing.We had some hits,some misses. Thank goodness my mom did that.... we have found new faves. We usually do the fave AND a new version of one dish since some refuse to try a new dish.
Trusted Contributor
On 11/21/2014 chickenbutt said:

I don't care for this sort of thing, but I cannot help wondering why not just make them the way the family likes them. It sounds like they've been abundantly clear about that. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but I guess I just don't understand - they tell you exactly what they like but you want to make something else instead?

Agree......If your family likes what you make, then why would you want to make them anything different......{#emotions_dlg.confused1} Besides, what he have in the USA is sweet potatoes, and not yams at all, as they are not a product of the USA.......Wink

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor
Beebee, Ree Drummond’s Sweet Soul 'Taters recipe is almost my sweet potato pie recipe-- just without the crust!!! I just add cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon extract and a bit of scotch but know I'd would enjoy Ree's as written. Her topping sounds yummy and I'm going to try it on my s w pie the next time I make one.
Honored Contributor
<h1> TEXAS YAMS</h1>

4 medium sized yams
1 cup sugar
dash salt
1 t cinnamon or nutmeg
3/4 stick butter
1/2 lemon, sliced very thin
1 T flour
1/4 c water

Peel and cut potatoes as for thick french fries. Place in 8 x 12 baking dish. Cover potatoes with sugar and salt. Sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg (or both) over sugar. Cover with pieces of butter. Twist slices of lemon over this and place peel in with potatoes. Sift flour evenly over top. Add water. Bake in 400 degree oven one hour or until done and sugar and butter have made a thick syrup about the consistency of molasses. Baste potatoes frequently with syrup.

I find this takes longer than an hour. I make it the day before and reheat it.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 forrestwolf said:
On 11/21/2014 chickenbutt said:

Agree......If your family likes what you make, then why would you want to make them anything different......{#emotions_dlg.confused1} Besides, what he have in the USA is sweet potatoes, and not yams at all, as they are not a product of the USA.......Wink

i just heard this today on one of the cooking shows.....didnt realize that the YAMS here are really sweet potatoes......they were saying yams are grown in the Caribbean.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor
On 11/21/2014 Bungo said:

I like plain and simple baked yams. No junk. Oh and I do NOT care for Ree Drummond!

Me, too. We don't even put butter on our sweet potatoes. They are perfect all by themselves!