Esteemed Contributor

Homemade Cranberry Sauce recipe you would share?

Hi Ladies. I had the most delicious homemade cranberry sauce last year. Does anyone have an easy recipe you would share. It was not like the jellied kind you get in a can. TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Homemade Cranberry Sauce recipe you would share?

I was raised having freshly made cranberry sauce. Honestly I didn't know there was any other kind until I met my DH and his mom put this stuff on the table in the shape of a can! What a disappointment that was.

The basic Cranberry Sauce recipe on the back of fresh cranberries is simple - 1 bag of cranberries, 1 cup of water, and 1 cup of sugar. Bring it all to a boil. Reduce the heat so you have a low boil. Continue stirring and watch for the berries to pop (about 10 minutes). Cool to room temperature. The natural pectin in the fruit will thicken your sauce. Then transfer the cooled sauce to your storage container and keep in the 'fridge. You can make additional batches while the berries are in season and then freeze the batches for use later on in the year.

Another very simple, no cook, fresh cranberry accompaniment is Cranberry-Orange Relish. My daughter loves this one. It's a bag of cranberries, 1 orange (seeded, but unpeeled), and 3/4-1 cup of sugar. Run the cranberries through your food processor for a coarse chop. Cut the orange into chunks and run them through the food processor. Combine both in a bowl and mix in your sugar. Let it sit in the 'fridge for several hours (overnight preferred).

For something slightly more involved, but still very easy, you might want to try Cranberry Chutney (Taste of Home recipe). I made this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was delish! I'm making another batch for a family gathering this weekend.

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups (1 pound) fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 cup chopped tart apple
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
Directions:
  • In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Cook over
  • medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes.
  • Add the apple, raisins and celery. Simmer, uncovered, until
  • thickened, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate
  • until chilled.
  • Yield: 3 cups.
Esteemed Contributor

I make the basic recipe on the bag of cranberries.

this was big hit, Last year I made an adult spiked recipe also, from Food.com:

Ingredients

1 (12- ounce) bag cranberries, fresh or frozen
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch nutmeg
1/4 cup bourbon, or more

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the cranberries, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small baking dish and cover. Bake for about 55 minutes. Remove the cover and stir to melt any un-dissolved sugar. Return the dish to the oven and bake for about 5 to 10 more minutes, or until the cranberries are soft and surrounded by a syrupy sauce. Remove the dish from the oven and immediately stir in the bourbon, to taste. Let the dish cool to room temperature, then chill for at least hour before serving. The sauce will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/baked-cranberry-sauce-recipe.html?_escaped_fragment_=&oc=linkback
Respected Contributor

Here is the version I have used for years. Leftovers are excellent with a pork tenderloin.

Cranberry Sauce with Dried Cherries and Cloves

2½ cups cherry cider or black cherry cider or cranberry juice cocktail

1 8-ounce package dried tart cherries (about 2 cups)

1 cup sugar

1 12-ounce package cranberries

1/4 teaspoon (generous) ground cloves

Bring cider to simmer in heavy, large saucepan. Remove from heat. Add cherries and let stand 8 minutes. Mix in sugar, then cranberries and cloves. Cook over medium-high heat until cranberries burst, stirring occasionally, about 9 minutes. Refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours (sauce will thicken as it cools). (Can be prepared 4 days ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.)

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

First, Ms Mary B - love your idea of spiked cranberry sauce!!! Thin it out and you've got yourself a great cran cocktail!!!

Here's my version of cranberry sauce - I've used real whole cranberries and I've used canned whole cranberry sauce so I'm going with the canned version. Let's face it gals, if we're doing the entire meal, we really don't have a lot of time unless we make the 'real' thing a couple of days ahead.

1-2 cans whole cranberry sauce (depending on size of your guest list)

heat it on the stove and add orange/mandarin slices, broken pecans, shortly prior to serving, toss in a few baby marshmallows to melt & swirl prettily, dish it up and enjoy.

Quick, easy & YUMMY!!!

Trusted Contributor

I make this every year and it's a BIG hit!! It's called "Grand Marnier Cranberry Sauce". Just a hint.....I always put the pan on a cookie sheet or something when baking since it almost always overflows a little.

• 1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
  • 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur (I use more than 2 tablespoons)

Preheat oven to 325°F. Place cranberries in 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle sugar, then orange juice concentrate over. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until juices form and cranberries are very soft, about 1 hour. Uncover; mix in liqueur. Cover and refrigerate until very cold, about 4 hours. Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Keep chilled.

Contributor

Mine's the same as JeanLouiseFinch.

I got this recipe from my daughter, who got it from her mother-in-law. It's easy & is very good.

Cranberry Sauce with Cider

1 cup sugar
1 cup cider or apple juice
1 12oz bag cranberries

Combine all in medium saucepan. Boil & simmer until cranberries pop.

Serves 8 -- Double for more servings.

Trusted Contributor

Mine is a take on JeanLouiseFinch's Cranberry Orange Relish above. I also add a chopped apple (w/skin) and chopped pecans to her recipe. I don't have my recipe in front of me, but I know it calls for two oranges and apples rather than one, so it just makes more. It's so easy because there's no cooking involved - it's just chopping everything up.

Super Contributor

I'm famous among my family and friends for my fresh cranberry sauce that I've been making for years from the below recipe. No jelly, wiggly stuff from a can for us! (We were at someone else's house one Thanksgiving and the kids thought it was hysterical that they sliced their cranberry sauce.)

Easy Delicious Fresh Cranberry Sauce:

4 Cups Whole Cranberries (fresh, not frozen)

1 1/2 Cups Sugar

1 Navel Orange

1/2 teaspoon Powdered Ginger

1/2 Cup Toasted Pecans (optional)

Finely grate the peel of the orange and add it to a saucepan with the sugar and the ginger. Squeeze the juice from the orange into the saucepan and simmer over low to medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.

Add the cranberries and cook until they "pop", usually about five minutes. Optional: add the pecans and cool the sauce. Refrigerate.

This can be made a day or two in advance. Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much ladies!!!!!!!