Trusted Contributor

Found this on Pinterest. Has anyone ever made this? I'm going to give it a try. Because the print is so small, here's the recipe:

2 squares unsweetened chocolate

1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk

1 T. water

Melt chocolate in double boiler. Add sweetened condensed milk. Stir over boiling water 5 minutes until it thickens. Add water. Cool cake before spreading frosting.

1935 Eagle Brand Magic Chocolate Frosting. Excellent! It never thickened up to more than a very thick glaze. It has such a wonderful flavor. It is really something special:)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Magic Chocolate Frosting

Very cool, from 1935. I love old cookbooks. Thanks for postingSmile

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

Two squares doesn't sound very chocolatey, to get the depth of color shown in the photo. I'd love to know how it turns out, if you do make it.

Trusted Contributor

Man, was I shocked in that the other day I needed some Baker's chocolate, and it does not come in those already measured out for you for the unwrapping squares, but rather one large bar, like a Hershey bar, and you have to break off what you need.....AND THE QUALITY.......{#emotions_dlg.ohmy} You can not even use that word in describing it any more........{#emotions_dlg.angry}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Valued Contributor

I've made this for years, not as frosting though. I used 4 squares and one can , stirred on low heat on stove, then used it as hot fudge sauce for ice cream. It works and I eat every drop over the next 3 or 4 days all by myself.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/18/2014 Clover29 said:

Two squares doesn't sound very chocolatey, to get the depth of color shown in the photo. I'd love to know how it turns out, if you do make it.

In 1935, the chocolate squares may have been bigger{#emotions_dlg.confused1} I'm not sure.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

On 11/18/2014 forrestwolf said:

Man, was I shocked in that the other day I needed some Baker's chocolate, and it does not come in those already measured out for you for the unwrapping squares, but rather one large bar, like a Hershey bar, and you have to break off what you need.....AND THE QUALITY.......{#emotions_dlg.ohmy} You can not even use that word in describing it any more........{#emotions_dlg.angry}

What?!? {#emotions_dlg.confused1} What brand did you use? I haven't bought baking chocolate in bar form in a while; I usually use the powedered unsweetened chocolate.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/18/2014 betteb said:
On 11/18/2014 Clover29 said:

In 1935, the chocolate squares may have been bigger{#emotions_dlg.confused1} I'm not sure.

You may be right. Two squares doesn't sound like a lot, but I can always follow gulf coast girl's lead...and add more chocolate! Or just make it into a topping for ice cream. That works, too! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

On 11/18/2014 Vamp said:
On 11/18/2014 forrestwolf said:

What?!? {#emotions_dlg.confused1} What brand did you use? I haven't bought baking chocolate in bar form in a while; I usually use the powedered unsweetened chocolate.

Don't believe the "easy break" as it says on the box.........Wink

Kraft Baker's Unsweetened Baking Chocolate Bar, 4 oz

The old box had individual squares, and was a total of 8 oz, now it is 4 oz, but recipes still call for 1 square, 2 square and so on.......{#emotions_dlg.huh}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Esteemed Contributor

Try Ghiradelli. I've always had good results with it.