Super Contributor

Marcus Samuelsson's Recipe for Spiced Nuts

Ethiopian born and Swedish raised, NYC chef Marcus Samuelsson "personifies gloabl influences". This recipe of his is in the December issue of Family Circle magazine. I thought it might be fun to get a thread going with some of the flavored nut recipes that people enjoy during the holidays.

Marcus Samuelsson’s Recipe for Spiced Nuts

2 T olive oil
1/2 c unsalted raw cashews
1/2 c peeled and blanched whole almonds
1/2 c walnut halves
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t kosher salt
1 t paprika
1/2 t cayenne
1 T light brown sugar

Heat olive oil in a large skillet ovr low heat. Add cashews, almonds, walnuts, cinnamon, salt, paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring often, until nuts are fragrant and golden, 810 min

Crumble sugar over nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted and coats nuts, about 3 min.

Transfer to a bowl and serve warm, or cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Marcus Samuelsson's Recipe for Spiced Nuts

I've used the spiced pecans from Alton Brown and love them. The ingredients are about the same except Alton used butter. Pecans have a sweeter taste than other nuts, I think, but I bet you could use a mix of others as well.

Super Contributor

On 11/17/2014 Sammijo said:

I've used the spiced pecans from Alton Brown and love them. The ingredients are about the same except Alton used butter. Pecans have a sweeter taste than other nuts, I think, but I bet you could use a mix of others as well.

This looks like the one you speak of - yum! Thanks.

Alton Brown’s Spiced Pecans

1 t kosher salt
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t dried ground orange peel
1 lb pecan halves
4 T unsalted butter
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 T packed dark brown sugar
2 T water

Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.

Mix the salt, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon and orange peel together in a small bowl and set aside.

Place the nuts in a 10-inch cast iron skillet and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes until they just start to brown and smell toasted. Add the butter and stir until it melts. Add the spice mixture and stir to combine. Once combined, add both sugars and water, stirring until the mixture thickens and coats the nuts, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.

Transfer the nuts to the prepared sheet pan and separate them with a fork or spatula. Allow the nuts to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container for storage. Can be stored up to 3 weeks.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Beebee! They are very good. I had some warm mixed nuts coated with some herbs at a local restaurant not too long ago and they were incredible. Still looking for a good recipe for those. They were so good.

Super Contributor

On 11/17/2014 Sammijo said:

Thanks, Beebee! They are very good. I had some warm mixed nuts coated with some herbs at a local restaurant not too long ago and they were incredible. Still looking for a good recipe for those. They were so good.

Thank you, Sammijo. I'm going to try Alton's recipe, and the herbal coated nuts sound good, too. Maybe someone will have a recipe for us. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I would just figure out what herb flavors you wanted, then work with the Brown recipe and adapt it. If the restaurant nuts weren't at all sweet, just omit the sugar.