Valued Contributor

Lost my Mother's cornbread recipe. Help!!

When my mother made cornbread, she put a square glass pan, with the amount of shortening the recipe called for, in the oven while it pre-heated. Then the other ingredients were combined when the oven was ready. She carefully removed the hot pan with the melted shortening, poured in the wet mixture, no stirring to combine, and baked.

I've looked on-line but had no luck finding this technique. Is this regional? She was from Virginia and learned to cook in the '30's on wood and coal stoves.

Hoping someone here will have a similar recipe.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lost my Mother's cornbread recipe. Help!!

I have a great cornbread recipe that calls for a box of Jiffy yellow cake mix and a box of cornbread mix. It is really tasty and if you would like I will send it to you.

Esteemed Contributor

Cornbread

If you want cornbread as it used to be, try the old-fashioned cornbread variation, below.

Ingredients

• 4 tablespoons butter, olive oil, lard or bacon drippings
  • 1 1/2 cups medium-grind cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups milk, more if needed

Method

• 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put fat in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or in an 8-inch square baking pan. Place pan in oven.
  • 2. Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix eggs into milk, then stir this mixture into dry ingredients, combining with a few swift strokes. If mixture seems dry, add another tablespoon or two of milk.
  • 3. When fat and oven are hot, remove skillet or pan from oven, pour batter into it and smooth out top. Return pan to oven. Bake about 30 minutes, until top is lightly browned and sides have pulled away from pan; a toothpick inserted into center will come out clean. Serve hot or warm.

Super Contributor

Hi--

I'm an old country girl born and raised in north central WV.

This is my mother's "" from scratch"" cornbread recipe. Sometimes she made it in a glass baking dish and sometimes in her cast iron skillet.

Mom's Cornbread

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup flour

1 Tbsp. baking powder

1/2 Tbsp. sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup milk or buttermilk

2 eggs

1 Tbsp. oil

350 oven. Prepare your cast iron skillet with 3 Tbsp. butter and melt it in the preheating oven while you make your batter. Or grease your baking dish.

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until wet. Pour batter into hot skillet with melted butter. Slightly swirl the melted butter around in the batter with a butter knife. Bake 25 to 30 minutes @ 350.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Valued Contributor

Thank you for answering so quickly.

Bungo, yours sounds really interesting, sort of a dessert take on a classic.

Zhills, this is what I looked for. My new DIL asked for our family's "heritage recipes" as a Christmas gift this year.

Had to break off, carrots roasting, needed to add a bit of maple syrup for the finishing minutes.

Tabbycat, thanks to you, too. Daddy is a graduate of the School of Mines. Many cousins in Raleigh County, Sophia and Beckley.

Respected Contributor

Bungo, would you please post your corn bread recipe using the cake mix and corn bread mix? I like a sweeter corn bread than most and DH doesn't like it at all but think he would like your recipe.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/14/2014 doglover3 said:

Bungo, would you please post your corn bread recipe using the cake mix and corn bread mix? I like a sweeter corn bread than most and DH doesn't like it at all but think he would like your recipe.

Bungo's may be different, but what I have is 1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix and 1 box of Jiffy yellow cake mix with the added egg and milk or water called for on the package directions.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

I knew I remembered this technique from somewhere. This recipe was given by Laura Bush when they were in the white house.

Corn bread:
½ cup oil
2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
4 teaspoons sugar
Salt to taste
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups whole milk or 1 cup milk and 1 cup water

To make the corn bread, heat oven to 450 degrees.
Heat oil in 9-by-13-inch metal baking pan in oven until very hot.
Mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in bowl.
Stir in beaten eggs and milk; then pour hot oil into batter, and mix.
Pour into pan, and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.

Respected Contributor

Any regular cornbread I make is usually in a cast iron skillet or cast iron corn sticks pan where the sticks are made like ears of corn(are my mom's from the 60's). I always melt Crisco or oil the skillets in the oven and then pour in the. Batter....it makes it crunchy.I like the recipe on the white lily cornmeal mix bag. I do not use this method for sweet or savory cornbread as I like those to be less crust.Oh I think it would be a good night for cornbread and milk (with diced onion on top)... that's some southern country eatin'..lol.
Honored Contributor

1 9oz. box Jiffy Corn Muffin mix

1 9 oz.box Jiffy Golden Yellow Cake

2 eggs

1/3 cup milk

1/2 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 350

Grease 9x13 pan

Blend all ingredients Add to pan

Bake 15 -20 minutes

Supposedly this is the cornbread made at Cracker Barrel. Made this for a party once and a friend ate almost all of it himself.