Honored Contributor

Does anyone use oysters for any holiday meal?

My grandmother used to put oysters in her stuffing. I always loved it. That would never go in my family! I do like oyster stew, though.

My aunt, who was reared in Iowa made "oyster dressing". (It didn't take the place of turkey dressing). She buttered a 9x9 glass bake dish then put in oysters, pepper, butter, saltines and a little half and half milk. It only baked like 15 minutes. Could be another side with turkey or roast.

Do you use oysters? How?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone use oysters for any holiday meal?

NO. I Loathe them.
Honored Contributor

I don't care for them either. No offense to your grandmother.

Respected Contributor

We steam them when we clean out the boiler after making cane syrup in the barn. We harvest sugar cane and make syrup every fall just before the first hard freeze. That is often around Thanksgiving. We roast a half a hog and fresh deer sausage plus have soups and stew on the wood burning stove and bake biscuits for the syrup. We also have cakes and sweets to follow. I just shuck them because I don't eat them. I have texture issues with them, but I like mussels and clams, but not oysters.

Honored Contributor

I use oysters in the stuffing for Thanksgiving (so did my mother and grandmother).

Honored Contributor

My grandpa used to love it. I was always too afraid to try it when I was a kid.

Trusted Contributor

DH puts oysters in our stuffing, but he includes raisins, water chestnuts and mushrooms (kind of an eclectic mix).

Esteemed Contributor

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving around here without oyster stuffing for the bird!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 tigriss said:

We steam them when we clean out the boiler after making cane syrup in the barn. We harvest sugar cane and make syrup every fall just before the first hard freeze. That is often around Thanksgiving. We roast a half a hog and fresh deer sausage plus have soups and stew on the wood burning stove and bake biscuits for the syrup. We also have cakes and sweets to follow. I just shuck them because I don't eat them. I have texture issues with them, but I like mussels and clams, but not oysters.

That is absolute amazing!!! Thank you SO much for blessing me with that beautiful pucture!

Blessings to you and your Fam from The greatgrand daughter of the master carpenter of famed Biltmore House!

Honored Contributor

We use them on Valentine's Day.