Respected Contributor

Question About Cooking a Turkey in a Nesco

Years back I cooked a turkey in my 16 or 18 quart Nesco. It came out very dry. I followed the directions from the pamphlet or recipe book that came with it. I am thinking that I either cooked it for too long or it was the incorrect temperature. I do not have the one with the fan so I know that the skin will not brown but that is fine. If anyone has a tried and true recipe that they like for this I would love to try using the Nesco again. TIA

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question About Cooking a Turkey in a Nesco

I always use my nesco for my turkey. I cook mine slow around 300 and watch so it doesn't overcook, take the temp or I see if the legs are staring to come loose.

Jessa
Super Contributor

I make a compound butter and place it under the skin. I also put butter on top of the bird. My Nesco has a rack and I cook the turkey on it. I put chicken stock and/or chicken broth in the bottom of the roaster. My turkeys are always moist and delicious. And they also brown on the top.
Super Contributor

You might like this page from pinterest.com that shows 'pins' re the Nesco

roaster.

http://www.pinterest.com/decor_dreams/food-nesco-roaster-recipes/

Respected Contributor

On 11/11/2014 JESSA said:

I always use my nesco for my turkey. I cook mine slow around 300 and watch so it doesn't overcook, take the temp or I see if the legs are staring to come loose.

Hi JESSA..... I know it all depends on the weight of the turkey but approximately how many minutes per pound or how long would you cook say a 22 pound turkey?

Hi English Rose...... thank you for the tips on using a butter compound under the skin and also using butter on top of the skin.

Hi Beebee....... I will definitely check it out....thank you.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/11/2014 luvsbulldogs said:

Hi JESSA..... I know it all depends on the weight of the turkey but approximately how many minutes per pound or how long would you cook say a 22 pound turkey?

Hi English Rose...... thank you for the tips on using a butter compound under the skin and also using butter on top of the skin.

Hi Luvsbulldogs...I cook it like it says on the instructions but at a lower temp because I think the nesco cooks very fast..I like it when the turkey has one of those popper things in it. I think a 22lb would take between 3 1/2-4 hours depending on if it is stuffed or not. I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Jessa
Respected Contributor

On 11/11/2014 luvsbulldogs said:

Hi Luvsbulldogs...I cook it like it says on the instructions but at a lower temp because I think the nesco cooks very fast..I like it when the turkey has one of those popper things in it. I think a 22lb would take between 3 1/2-4 hours depending on if it is stuffed or not. I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Hi JESSA..... Thank you for your quick response. I too agree that the Nesco cooks fast and I think that is what I did wrong. I do not stuff mine because I think that the stuffing absorbs a lot of the juices and moisture from the turkey but I do make it on the side. Happy Thanksgiving to you also.

Respected Contributor

Go to the Nesco website for specific instructions. I also use butter and always put the bird on the rack. Mine look just like the magazines. Please us your own thermometer, don't rely on those pop up things. Happy Turkey

Honored Contributor

I only cook a turkey breast, but it turns out great in a Nesco.

Respected Contributor

On 11/11/2014 brandiwine said:

Go to the Nesco website for specific instructions. I also use butter and always put the bird on the rack. Mine look just like the magazines. Please us your own thermometer, don't rely on those pop up things. Happy Turkey

Hi brandiwine....... unfortunately the Nesco cookbook recipe is the same as the booklet that came with my Nesco and the one I used. I am convinced that the recommended temperature is way too high and the cooking time is to long per pound. I think that I am going to lower the temperature to 300 as others have mentioned here and use a thermometer as you mentioned. I also will put the bird on the rack and butter it under the skin and on the top. Thanks brandiwine.

Edited to say: I checked again and according to their directions I would start out at 400 degrees for 1 hour and then lower to 35 degrees and cook a 22 pound turkey over 7 hours. That is exactly what I did the time that I cooked mine and it was so dry that we could not eat it. I think the thermometer will be a big help but it sure will make it difficult to figure out what time we will be eating and also when to heat or cook the sides.