Honored Contributor

Looking for a better-than-average recipe for Green Bean Casserole.

I've been asked to bring it to a potluck and it's not something I usually make.

Does anyone have a really good recipe for green bean casserole?

Thank you Smile

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for a better-than-average recipe for Green Bean Casserole.

I have eaten many versions of this but the old standby off the frenches fried onion can is the best ...to me. I hate the ones with fresh green beans or frozen. I like the cans of French cut green beans.But that's my preference.
Respected Contributor

You can try Alton Brown's. He makes the onion topping from onions and panko bread crumbs. The sauce is half-n-half plus sauteed mushrooms. If you have a feeling about canned mushroom soup and canned fried onions, this can be an alternative with the same "mouth feel" and flavors.

Honored Contributor

Add some shredded sharp cheddar cheese and/or parmesean. Will be brown and bubbly. I do prefer the canned beans, too. Panko crumbs added to sautéed mushrooms and onions (even some colorful bell peppers) at the last minute and stir it all up. Yum!

Honored Contributor

Interesting. It never occurred to me to use canned beans.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 11/9/2014 Campion said:

You can try Alton Brown's. He makes the onion topping from onions and panko bread crumbs. The sauce is half-n-half plus sauteed mushrooms. If you have a feeling about canned mushroom soup and canned fried onions, this can be an alternative with the same "mouth feel" and flavors.

Wow! This looks wonderful!

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I like to use the standard French's fried onion recipe too. I do use Krogers Very Green canned cut green beans because they have such a nice color.

One change for me is I use cream of celery soup instead of mushroom soup. I just cannot stand mushrooms.

I expect one could also use cream of chicken soup if they wanted, but we like it with cream of celery.

Honored Contributor

i have a delicious one, but it is LOADED......very rich, but very delicious. it is called swiss green beans. LOL i am afraid to post it again because of those that like to slam certain recipes! it is very different from the traditional green bean recipe.

i like using the whole petite haricot vert style of green beans.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

what the heck......LOL...... it is post #25 on this thread, where you will find other suggestions also:

http://community.qvc.com/forums/recipe/topic/414969/do-you-have-a-good-green-bean-casserole-recipe.a...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

On 11/9/2014 house_cat said:
On 11/9/2014 Campion said:

Wow! This looks wonderful!

I echo this recipe. I've made this several times and its totally worth it. I have found though that the onions can be tricky. Use the store bought if that part of the project is daunting.