Respected Contributor

Post your good Slow Cooker recipes

I just got a new Crock-Pot (and I love it.) I shopped long and hard for this one, and ended up with a Crock-Pot Smart Pot. I have th 4qt oval with set times (4-6 and 8-10 and auto warm.) Love it. No one told me oval was the ONLY way to go.

So, in honor of my new pot, here's a recipe:

Crock-Pot Easy Roast Chicken with sides

1 4-5 lb whole chicken

Poultry seasoning or your own mix

Garlic salt (or powder)

1 onion, chopped coarsely

optional: thickly sliced carrots, celery (put in bottom with onion)

1 box of Stovetop Stuffing.

Method:

Strew the chopped onion in the bottom of your slow cooker (you can use a bigger chicken if you have a 6qt pot. I have a 4 qt and a 4 or 5 pound fits fine.)

Rub your chicken inside and out with a mix of poultry seasoning and garlic salt. You can also use your own mix of paprika, thyme, sage, garlic salt, cayenne, etc. Just make sure you have a nice rub on the chicken.

Put the chicken on top of the onion and cook on low for six hours. You can also do it on high for a shorter time. Cook until it starts to fall apart. Mine took 6 hours.

There will be a small amount of broth at the bottom that tastes great mixed up as gravy (blend the onion in if you like onion gravy) or can be used as a base for chicken soup with your leftover bones. Do not need to add water. The chicken will roast in its own juices. The skin won't be crisp, but the breast meat will be especially moist and delicious.

Make up the Stovetop either in the microwave or a saucepan and serve with the chicken. Green beans or brussels sprouts are nice along with this.

Poultry Mix Spices:

• 4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp white pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

Contributor

Re: Post your good Slow Cooker recipes

put into slow cooker

chuck roast cut into 1/2 or 1/4

NO water added-that will come from meat

two cans Rotel mild diced tomatoes and green chilies

two; four ounce cans green chiles (fire roasted adds depth)

one jar Herdez Tomatillo Verde Mexican cooking sauce

onion salt and garlic powder to taste

7 shakes of Smokey Chiptole Tabasco

Mix well, meat should be coated with mixture. All ingredients will all cook down. Cook till "pull apart easy" or 8 hrs on high, serve on tortillas or as sandwich fixings...

Respected Contributor

I'm copying that down, NewerNM (my family is from NM, I'm the "east coast" holdout. It looks really good and I love braised beef and chiles. Thanks!

Contributor

amazingly I got everything from walmart after months of online ordering from a mex grocer

(where I got the recipe)...

Fight the impulse to add to the above recipe, as you will read labels of grn tom. jar and rotel

you'll see there will be more than enough seasonings in this...

By the way congrads on your new crockpot, spaghetti sauce is the best in it...and we left east coast in 2009.

Respected Contributor

My family has been out there since the 60's and 70's. My brother is there still in ABQ.

Super Contributor

Just today (from my slow cooker cookbook) I put 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in my crockpot---I put them in frozen. In a bowl, mix a can of cream of mushroom soup with a can of French onion soup. Add one cup of white wine to the soup mixture. ( I used a cheap Pinot Grigio ) Pour mixture over chicken. Cook on low 8 hours. Now, I cooked on low for 2 hours and then switched to high for 4 hours. I removed the chicken and shredded it before returning to crockpot. Serve over rice. It was good. DH liked it. **** BTW. Speaking of ABQ, my DH and I plan on moving there late next summer!,, can't wait!,
Honored Contributor

Eye round roast, can of cream of mushroom soup, potatoes, carrots, onions. I brown the seasoned flour coated roast in a fry pan in a little olive oil, deglaze the pan with about a cup of beef broth. I pour all that in a larger measuring cup & put in the refrigerator. I put the roast & everything else in the crockpot & put in the refrigerator. In the morning before DH goes to work he pours the beef broth in the crockpot & plugs it in since I'm not up that early & it needs to cook 10 hrs. It's so good, makes a yummy gravy & an easy way to make eye round roast really moist & tender.

Contributor

On 11/9/2014 Campion said:

My family has been out there since the 60's and 70's. My brother is there still in ABQ.

as you know then...its still 1970.

=0)

Respected Contributor

My old tried and true is pot roast with cream of mushroom soup, Lipton dried onion soup, cut up carrots, onions and celery. I make egg noodles with this.

I also make corned beef in my crock pot.

I will say that today the crock pots cook a lot faster than those of old. So for those new to slow cookers, watch and be careful not to overcook your meals.

Trusted Contributor

I make this chicken tonight, onions on bottom, chicken on top with the spice rub, cover and done in 5 hours.....falling apart....loved it...no work....just moist chicken.....we never eat the skin anyway, and no butter so much better for you...