Valued Contributor

I wasn't sure how many people know that it's possible to shop at Costco without being a member! You just ask someone with a Costco membership to purchase you Cash Cards! (Like a gift certificate/card) This is a great gift, also...and also great if the kids are away at college, etc...to allow them access to Costco deals.

*Edited to add:

I just came back to say that some people may think this is not a good idea.... Costco allows it - I am thinking that people may not be able to get the coupon/discount deals with just a cash card. I notice they don't call it a GIFT CARD..?

I thought it might also be a good way to "test" out Costco to see if one wants to become a member - I read further to see that they CAN get a one-time pass...but have to use cash, so that might be better. There can be a 5% surcharge added, too!

At Costco.com, it says:

"You must be a Costco member to purchase or reload Costco Cash Cards. Members and non-members may use the cash cards to shop at any Costco location in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and online at Costco.com or on Costco.ca. Costco Cash balances may be used toward membership or merchandise.

The Costco Cash card features include:

• A convenient payment option in our warehouses, gas stations, and costco.com
  • No expiration date
  • Are rechargeable at any Costco warehouse location (by members, I am thinking)
  • Can be purchased in denominations from $25 to $1,000
  • A supply card or gas card for businesses
  • A means to provide students with money for food, gas, or school and dormitory necessities, while being able to limit their spending
  • Balance can be accessed on costco.com, the warehouse "red kiosk" or by calling the toll-free number on the back of the card"
Trusted Contributor

Glori,

I saw your other thread on this. I agree it might be a good way for a non-member to try it out. I understand they also give out one-day passes.

I saw on that other thread that those with memberships didn't seem too happy with this. However, they do get cash back, so their membership pays for itself and then some.

BJ's, where I am a member, allows anyone who is with me to make purchases with my card. I pay for my purchases and they pay for theirs--separate transactions....no prob!

Gloria

Respected Contributor
How do you get in the door w/o showing a Costco membership card? This is kind of a slap in the face to us who pay $55/yr to join
Trusted Contributor
On 11/6/2014 scatcat said: How do you get in the door w/o showing a Costco membership card? This is kind of a slap in the face to us who pay $55/yr to join

I have only gone to Costco once. My daughter and I were in the area shopping one summer and we stopped by just to check it out and compare it to BJ's, where I am a member. They do stop you at the door, but will let you come in and look around. I did not shop. I think you can get a one day pass, but I believe there is 5% surcharge, I think BJ's charges that, as well.

Honored Contributor

There are chiselers everywhere........

Regular Contributor
On 11/7/2014 DiAnne said:

There are chiselers everywhere........

I don't know how it's chiseling if they allow it? Check out the comments about this on ""The Frugal Find"". Someone pointed out that you don't have to be a member to shop their website.

Honored Contributor

I think if you want to buy a membership I can almost guarantee it will pay for it after you have made one or two trips....I would not think it was very polite if someone asked me to buy the cash cards using my membership that I had paid for.

Regular Contributor

Really not much different than someone bringing someone else with them thats not a member to shop.

Valued Contributor
On 11/6/2014 scatcat said: How do you get in the door w/o showing a Costco membership card? This is kind of a slap in the face to us who pay $55/yr to join

You get in the door by showing your Cash Card...or you can get a day pass...and pay extra 5%... Costco's rules...not mine Smiley Wink lol

Valued Contributor

Costco is my go to store, I love that place! I just spent 3 hours in there yesterday, they are getting all their Christmas stock in, I did a lot of Christmas shopping there. I don't think no else can spend as much time in that place as me! lol I think the cash card is great for family members that don't shop there that often.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you