Occasional Contributor

Need a Good, Simple Sweet Potato Recipe

I have always made mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving. But this year I would like to try something different...some kind of a sweet potato dish.

Anyone have a favorite they would like to share? Will need to serve about 12.

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need a Good, Simple Sweet Potato Recipe

Hi Perci...It is nice to meet you! Welcome to RS! Here is a recipe I make that gets great reviews. It is simple to put together. I have another recipe too that I will post as soon as I go through my files. Hope this helps!

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups of cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (OR you can use 1 large fat can of canned sweet potatoes)

2/3 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup evaporated (you could use regular milk)

1/2 cup butter

Mash sweet potatoes, then add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Pour into a butter 9 x 13 pan or dish. Then add the following topping...

Topping:

1 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup flour

1/3 cup butter

1 cup chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans

Put all topping ingredients EXCEPT CHOPPED NUTS into food processor.Process until well blended but crumbly. Then add the chopped nuts and sprinkle on top of the sweet potato mixture. Bake about an hour at 350*. This can be made and frozen, then baked after it is thawed in your refrigerator for a day. It also can be baked the day before and just heated well the day you want to use it.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/31/2014 LilBitMissty said:

Hi Perci...It is nice to meet you! Welcome to RS! Here is a recipe I make that gets great reviews. It is simple to put together. I have another recipe too that I will post as soon as I go through my files. Hope this helps!

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups of cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (OR you can use 1 large fat can of canned sweet potatoes)

2/3 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup evaporated (you could use regular milk)

1/2 cup butter

Mash sweet potatoes, then add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Pour into a butter 9 x 13 pan or dish. Then add the following topping...

Topping:

1 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup flour

1/3 cup butter

1 cup chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans

Put all topping ingredients EXCEPT CHOPPED NUTS into food processor.Process until well blended but crumbly. Then add the chopped nuts and sprinkle on top of the sweet potato mixture. Bake about an hour at 350*. This can be made and frozen, then baked after it is thawed in your refrigerator for a day. It also can be baked the day before and just heated well the day you want to use it.

We have this every Thanksgiving and it's always the first thing to go! The only difference is that we put a little more sugar in the sweet potato mixture and use skim milk.

Trusted Contributor

We don't like the sweet casseroles so we use this one and it is very good. Peel sweet potatoes and slice into thin rounds. Cover the bottom of a flat casserole dish with a thin layer of olive oil. Chop three cloves of garlic and put a little on top of the olive oil. Then start layering the sweet potatoes, garlic, s&p til all used up. Pour on a cup of whipping cream and cover with foil. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes then uncover and bake another 15-30 minutes til potatoes are soft. We have this as a side dish all through the year not just at Thanksgiving.
Trusted Contributor

I'm going to make baked sweet potato fries for myself this Thanksgiving. Very easy.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

These recipes sound awful and waaaay too sweet. Just bake them kinda like white potatoes and put butter and salt on them. Delicious. We have always had both white (mashed) potatoes and sweets. DH doesn't really care for green veggies.

Here is an interesting note: DH will NOT eat sweets, pumpkin pie, cranberries or any kind of squash. The best TG we ever had was the year I was in a wheel chair. Mom was still w/ us and we bought TV Dinners. I think I even bought a pie and cake. (DH hates pie) It is such a wonderful memory we are doing it this year as an honor to our loved ones that are gone.

Honored Contributor

I also think most sweet potato casseroles are way too loaded with sugar and fat. I am making mashed potatoes as usual...but this year I will make mashed sweet potatoes and use some brown sugar instead of salt and pepper.....I may add a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, or cumin as well.

Respected Contributor

I like to cut them into bite-size chunks, toss with a bit of olive oil, & sprinkle with whatever seasonings sound good to me at the time, then roast. I don't remember where the original idea came from, but that one used a packet of the dry salad dressing mix, like the kind you mix with oil or mayo, but that has too much sodium for me.

Sometimes I add in other root vegetables such as carrots, etc. They're already sweet enough for me & I don't like them with marshmallows, syrup, etc.

Trusted Contributor

I mash them with butter and use Maple syrup. If counting calories Log Cabin sugar free syrup. There is no difference in the taste.

It's delicious.

Jamma

Super Contributor

Here's one I'm dying to try. I love sweet potatoes, but not dishes with extra sweetness. This one is mashed with bacon and mushrooms. Yum. (I'm using an iPad so the spacing might be poor--sorry) 3 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and cut-up 1/2 cup milk 1 teaspoon kosher salt 2 tablespoons butter 6 slices bacon 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved (quarter any large mushrooms) 1 large onion, cut in thin wedges 2 tablespoons lemon juice 1/3 cup golden raisins In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven cook potatoes in lightly salted boiling water, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to pan. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes. Stir in milk, butter, and salt until butter melts. Cover and keep warm. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towels, reserving 3 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Add mushrooms and onions to skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat for 8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and browned. Drizzle with the lemon juice. Crumble bacon and stir into mushrooms along with raisins. To serve, top mashed potatoes with warm mushroom mixture.