1 1/2 cups rice...uncooked

1/2 of a small onion...minced

1/2 cup mushrooms...chopped

1/4 cup slivered almonds

1/4 cup celery...chopped

1 teaspoon parsley flakes

2 cans beef bouillon OR 2 cans chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350*

Saute rice, onion, mushrooms, almonds and celery in butter until rice begins to brown. Add parsley and 2 cans of broth. Bake in covered baking dish for 45 minutes or till all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

Respected Contributor
Used to make this recipe 30+ years ago. Used loads of mushrooms grated and sautéed then added presauted onions that were golden to the mushrooms. Added beef broth and baked. Everyone loved it ! Haven't made it for a long time...will try it soon. Thanks for reminding me!
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

jlkz...Hi Nice to meet you. Welcome to RS!...Yep this recipe goes wayyy back. My DM would always make this as a side dish. She mostly used the chicken broth...always a favorite!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks this sounds delicious, I will have to try it.

Trusted Contributor

qvcfreak....hi.Good to see you my friend. I hope you get a chance to try it.

Esteemed Contributor
On 10/30/2014 jlkz said: Used to make this recipe 30+ years ago. Used loads of mushrooms grated and sautéed then added presauted onions that were golden to the mushrooms. Added beef broth and baked. Everyone loved it ! Haven't made it for a long time...will try it soon. Thanks for reminding me!

Gosh, me too. I haven't thought about this recipe in years even though it's in my "stash". The kids really liked it, now it's just the two of us, so don't cook too much these days. Delish !!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Hi LilBit! I don't use this recipe, but baking rice is the best way for me to make it. It comes out perfect all the time, vs stove top, microwave or rice cooker.

It's cooked evenly, fluffy and moist. All the time!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor
DH sometimes makes a large batch of brown and wild rice on stovetop. Refrigerates the leftover which some times will last a week.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Sounds good, except for the mushrooms! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} (I'd leave them out, or substitute something else.)

Super Contributor

Lilbit, I must be the only one who's never fixed baked rice and this looks so good; I love all the ingredients and think this will make a nice 'new' dish for our family. Thank you.