Trusted Contributor

I bought a beautiful butternut squash...

Normally I just roast and mash with the normal spices, but would like to try something new. It is a 2-3 lb beauty. What would you prepare? Please share your recipes. Thanks in advance!
Trusted Contributor

Re: I bought a beautiful butternut squash...

We love baked stuffed squash. Stuff with rice, mushrooms, seasoning. Bake until tender No recipe - we just wing it
Super Contributor

I made amazing soup a couple weeks ago. I think I used a recipe from the allrecipe site.
Trusted Contributor

I love butternut squash and use it several ways. Most of my recipes start with baked squash. Just cut the squash into cubes, coat with a little EVOO, salt, pepper, and rosemary (optional). Combine with cut-up onions, spread on a cookie sheet and roast at 400 degrees until soft and edges are browned (about 40-50 min) (turn the cubes over after about 20 min or so.) Now---

Salad - In large bowl, mix chunks of goat cheese, some cooked penne. Add the cooked squash/onions, some chopped fresh basil, some toasted chopped walnuts. - mix all together. Top with grated parmesan cheese. Serve warm or room temp.

Soup - (Dr Weil's recipe). When roasting the squash, in addition to the onion, add 2 cut-up green apples, and 3 garlic cloves. Let cool for a few minutes. In food processor, add about half of the cooked squash mixture and 2 cups vegetable broth and puree. Pour the pureed mixture to soup pot, repeat with the remaining squash and 2 more cups veg broth. Add more broth if too thick. Correct the seasoning, heat to simmer. Serve with a drollop of sour cream.

Salad - Roast squash as above, except add 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika. Let cool. In serving bowl, combine 1 cup cooked lentils, the squash/onion mixture, 1 cup feta cheese, 1/4 c chopped fresh mint leaves. Add a little EVOO and red wine vinegar. Toss. Service over lettuce leaves.

Stuffed - This one is a little more involved. (recipe calls for 2 squash but you can half the recipe) Brown 1 lb ground turkey. Remove from pan. Saute 1 chopped onion, 4 garlic cloves, and pepper. Mix with the cooked turkey. Add 1/2 sml can tomato sauce, 1 tsp oregano. Set aside. Meanwhile, cut butternut squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds. (Cut a small slice off the bottom of squash so that it will lay flat on a cookie sheet). Place the 2 halves in a microwaveable dish, cover lightly with saran wrap, and microwave for about 6 min or until almost done. Let cool a few minutes so you can handle. On a sheet of alum foil, place one halved squash, fill the hollow (where the seeds were) with the turkey mixture, wrap with the foil and seal tightly. Do same with other pieces. Place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour. (This is an old Weight Watcher recipe and counts as 3 points under the old Points system, not PointsPlus).

I have lots more squash recipes but these are my favorite repeated ones.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a trick for peeling butternut squash?

I roast it with balsamic and olive oil.

One year for Thanksgiving, I made a Maple-Thyme sauce I found in Bon Appetit. My son devoured it (he hates vegetables).

MAPLE BRAISED BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH FRESH THYME

• 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
  • 1 3- to 31/2-pound butternut squash, cut lengthwise in half, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 1/4 cups low-salt chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon (or more) black pepper
Preparation

Melt butter in heavy large deep skillet over high heat. Add squash; sauté 1 minute. Add broth, syrup, thyme, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook until squash is almost tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer squash to large bowl. Boil liquid in skillet until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Return squash to skillet. Cook until tender, turning occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with more pepper, if desired.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

I cut it into chunks, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake it for half an hour; then I pull it out and add walnuts drizzled with olive oil, give it a toss and put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes or so. Sometimes I also add brussel sprouts, cut in half.

Honored Contributor

SPICED BUTTERNUT SQUASH

2 T vegetable oil
1 t toasted sesame oil
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
2-1/2 t minced garlic (divided)
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 t minced fresh ginger
1/2 t Chinese five spice
1/8 t cayenne pepper

Heat oils in large skillet over med heat. Add squash and 1 t garlic. Saute until squash begins to soften (about 8 minutes). Add broth and wine. Boil until most of the liquid is gone (about 8 more minutes). Stir in ginger, five spice, cayenne and remaining garlic. Cover, reduce heat and cook until rest of liquid is gone and squash is tender (about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Trusted Contributor

A very big THANK YOU to all that took the time to reply! Now I need to buy more squash because I want to try so many lol
Trusted Contributor

I don't know of a "trick" to peeling - I have been buying my squash already cut and peeled. More expensive, I know, but it's worth it to me. My friend tells me that she uses a potato peeler but I haven't tried that.

Trusted Contributor

I have given my way in another thread, but I have also cut the butternut squash just before the rounder part starts at the end of the neck, and then cut each portion in half, scooped out the seeds of the lower portion, and then peel like you would a pineapple, and have found this works well, with less muscle power, as I do not have any, due to a muscle disease, and you have even flat surfaces to work with, rather than the ususal difficult whole squash surface to deal with.............Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......