Regular Contributor
I had an very sweet elderly lady as a patient last year and we were talking about food and she told me that when she was little and sick or down her mother would make her a sort of open faced beef sandwich. It sounded so good. I made it several times last winter when I was too tired to cook. You take a piece of bread....whatever you like. I used rye or that dark german bread, once I used Italian.....you spread raw ground beef on the bread right up to the edges. I used 4 ounces of beef, I added a little salt and pepper to it before spreading. The bread wasn't toasted. After you spread the raw meat on the bread you put it under the broiler for a few minutes watching it until it's done. Then you put whatever cheese you like on top. I used crumbled blue cheese. Then you broil for a few seconds till the cheese melts. That's it. I ate it with sweet gherkin pickles. It was quite good. The bread soaks up the meat juices and it doesn't get soggy, just flavorful. I thought it was a nice idea. Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

Re: Old quick comfort recipe

Sounds good and easy to me! I can actually smell the aroma of the hamburger!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Mandy Patinkin's mother wrote a cookbook a few years ago. In it, she has a similar recipe for hamburgers (she used rye bread, but I do not believe she used cheese).

Occasional Contributor

Oh my gosh, my grandma used to make these! She used Velveeta on top. LOL Thanks for bringing back those memories. She called it a "loose" hamburger. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

Wednesday is hamburger day for us, anyway! Can't wait. I'm already hungry........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

I never heard of this but I can't wait to try it. Sounds delicious. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so I think I will try the hamburger on the sourdough bread we have here, and then put some Monterey Jack on top. Thank you for the recipe, Miss Buttercup!

Respected Contributor

I can't imagine being able to cook the raw beef long enough on the bread to get done without burning the bread or getting it to crisp....have to pass on this one.

Trusted Contributor

Here is one of my favorites.......sort of along those same lines.

Take a loaf of french bread and slice horizontally down the middle. Then take each half and cut it in half......you now have 4 pieces of french bread. Set aside. Brown ground beef (I actually use ground white meat turkey). Add a can of Prego spaghetti sauce to the browned beef (and you can add whatever other seasonings you want to the mixture). Spread the mixture on each piece of french bread. Top that with slices of sliced mozarella cheese (I just use pre-sliced Kraft mozarella). Pop into pre-heated 350 degree oven until cheese is bubbly and melted. It's so good and so easy.

Honored Contributor

My mom made these for us when we were kids. Probably easy on the budget 'cause it didn't take much meat. I always wondered, trying to make it today, if I should toast the bread on the opposite side before I put the beef on the untoasted side?

We didn't have cheese, but we spread the ketchup on top, oh yeah.

Super Contributor

Sounds good, but it should be good. The bread has soaked up all the ground beef fat.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion