Super Contributor

What to do with Japanese Eggplants?

A coworker gave me some from her garden - I've had them in dishes at the Chinese restaurant, so I know I like them, but need a recipe. Help!

Respected Contributor

Re: What to do with Japanese Eggplants?

That's funny-that is exactly what I do with them: Chinese stir fry! I start by sauteing onions and mushrooms until they are a little caramelized. I then add thin planks of the eggplant, another coating of oil, and when I think the eggplant is close to being finished, I add a little minced garlic. In the end I add a bit of teriyaki sauce. You could do all sorts of things with this basic recipe, including stir frying some carrots, snow peas, etc....throw in some chicken or beef...or go tofu if you are so inclined. Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

EGGPLANT AND PEPPERS IN BLACK BEAN GARLIC SAUCE

3 T oil
1/2 t toasted sesame oil
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 T black bean garlic sauce
2 medium Japanese eggplants
1/2 julienned red bell pepper
1/2 julienned orange bell pepper
1/2 julienned yellow bell pepper
1 c thinly sliced onion
2 t sugar
1/2 t Chinese chili sauce (sriracha) to taste
3/4 c water or low sodium vegetable broth (I used water)

Cut eggplant in 3/4 inch pieces (no need to peel).

Heat oils together in a nonstick skillet or wok over high temp. Add garlic, stir fry for 20 seconds, then add the black bean sauce and stir fry for 15 seconds.

Add eggplant, peppers and onion and stir fry for about 3 minutes.

Add sugar, chili sauce and water and stir well. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetable are done to your preference.

Serve over rice.

Honored Contributor

EGGPLANT WITH HOISIN SAUCE

1 T oil
1 pound eggplant, trimmed and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
2 T hoisin sauce
1 T soy sauce
1/4 c water
2 green onions, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1 inch lengths

Heat wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add oil. Add eggplant and stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Mix green onions. Cook and stir 1 minute longer.

Serves 6

I do this with Japanese eggplant usually.

Valued Contributor

I know this is going to sound odd but I use eggplant in my meatloaf. Sometimes I just cube it up and other times I slice it for layers.

Respected Contributor

Woodland, that is a brilliant idea! It would certainly add to the moistness-particularly if you are using a lean meat. Poodlepet
Esteemed Contributor

When all else fails, roast them!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Poodlepet said: Woodland, that is a brilliant idea! It would certainly add to the moistness-particularly if you are using a lean meat. Poodlepet

The eggplant takes on the more dormant flavor of the meatloaf with an earthy mushroom hit.