Valued Contributor

Yellow Butter Cake - easy using Cake Mix/warning for those who don't like that! :)

Someone shared this recipe with me on Facebook, and I just had to share here. So many were sharing cake mix recipes recently...

If you don't care to use cake mixes, I'm sure you could make your own mix..{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Yellow Butter Cake - kind of gooey

Ingredients

1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
4 cups (1 lb) powdered sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 300 and spray a 9×13 dish with cooking spray.

Mix cake mix, melted butter and one egg to a soft dough. Press into the bottom of the pan.

Mix powdered sugar, softened cream cheese and remaining two eggs until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Pour on top of crust.

Bake at 300 for 40-50 minutes until top is golden brown.

Read more at http://myfridgefood.com/recipes/dessert/yellow-butter-cake/#6cGbUKdSAEsR5Ipm.99

Super Contributor

Re: Yellow Butter Cake - easy using Cake Mix/warning for those who don't like that! :)

Have made this cake several times in various flavors (strawberry is particularly good - add chopped strawberries to the filling). The Q used to sell it (it was a Paula Deen cake as I recall) but theirs was made in a 10"" springform pan which I've also done. Very good cake.

Honored Contributor

Re: Yellow Butter Cake - easy using Cake Mix/warning for those who don't like that! :)

Yes, Paula Deen has printed many recipes for her Ooey Gooey butter cakes.
Respected Contributor

That sounds good. I seldom use boxed mixes, but I did have a recipe (going back about 40 years{#emotions_dlg.scared}) that called for one with the addition of other ingredients. It was delicious, then came the downsizing{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}. Needless to say, the recipe was ruined and the cake (it was prepared as a sheet cake, and I'd get the Duncan Hines mix) didn't come anywhere near the top of the pan.

Anyway, I ended up making a yellow cake from scratch then adding everything, but I loved the ease of the boxed mix for that recipe.

What worries you masters you.
Super Contributor

I have this recipe under another name, Chess Cake. It is absolutely delicious and so easy to make. Thanks for posting and reminding me that I need to make this soon!
Honored Contributor

In my freezer right now. Even though I live alone I make it a lot give some away and keep some in the freezer for myself. YUM!! I also will add butterscotch chips and coconut sometimes to give it extra kick

Cake:
  • 1 18¼-ounce package yellow cake mix
  • 1 egg
  • 8 tablespoons butter, melted
  • Filling:
  • 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 8 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 16-ounce box powdered sugar
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I haven't made that recipe in years so thanks for reminding me! I have it filed under Chess Cake, too. No matter the name, it is delicious!
Regular Contributor

I made this with a chocolate cake mix-added 2 table spoons cocoa to the cream cheese mix.

Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing the recipe Glori! Always good to put that ""warning"" in your heading...makes life easier when you are just trying to post a recipe.

I like the chocolate idea!

Respected Contributor

Sounds good. I'm not averse to mixes anymore. The yellow cake is pretty good and it stunned me one day--we ordered a cake from a client who is a cake decorator and it was really tasty! (Beautifully decorated, too.) Duncan Hines....ok. I'm in.