Esteemed Contributor

I'm Looking for Your BEST Toffee Recipe!

Have you seen the commercial on TV with a lady who has blonde hair, wears a stylish apron and stands in what appears to be a small candy shop that sells toffee? The point of the commerical is to steer new customers to online legal services which assist in starting a new business, etc. Well, I knew this lady's Mom, who was the originator of that terrific toffee. I tried for years and years to get the recipe from her. She would give me the shirt off her back, but not her very, very special recipe. At that time, she only made toffee in November and December with her daughters and made a mint. Now one of her daughters does it fulltime.

Anyway, I'd love your best toffee recipe, as I'd like to make several batches to include in gift baskets this Christmas. I know I can go online and get recipes (have already been there); but, appreciate the experience you all have had with taste results over the years. Can't put a price on that.

Thanks so much! ~Rebecca

Super Contributor

Re: I'm Looking for Your BEST Toffee Recipe!

Janet Long. Love the commercial. Expensive stuff!

Regular Contributor

English Toffee 1 cup sugar 1 cup butter 1 tbsp. water 6 Hershey bars 3/4 cup finelt chopped pecans Combine sugar, butter, and water in large sauce pan. Cook over medium heat to the hard-crack stage (medium brown in color...I gauge it by the color of Heath bars..appx. 25 minutes. Watch closely and stir frequently. Remove from heat and pour into a generously buttered 9 x 3 inch pan. Cover with Hershey bars and spread as soon as they melt (this will be fairly quick). Sprinkle with pecans. You may score candy into 1 inch pieces or let cool and break into pieces. I've been making this for many, many years and am always asked for more. I worked at a school that was always having luncheons...we decided the school was a front for a restaurant. Finally we created our own cookbook and this recipe was included in it.
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/24/2014 sward05 said: English Toffee 1 cup sugar 1 cup butter 1 tbsp. water 6 Hershey bars 3/4 cup finelt chopped pecans Combine sugar, butter, and water in large sauce pan. Cook over medium heat to the hard-crack stage (medium brown in color...I gauge it by the color of Heath bars..appx. 25 minutes. Watch closely and stir frequently. Remove from heat and pour into a generously buttered 9 x 3 inch pan. Cover with Hershey bars and spread as soon as they melt (this will be fairly quick). Sprinkle with pecans. You may score candy into 1 inch pieces or let cool and break into pieces. I've been making this for many, many years and am always asked for more. I worked at a school that was always having luncheons...we decided the school was a front for a restaurant. Finally we created our own cookbook and this recipe was included in it.

sward05,

Thank you so very much for sharing your toffee recipe! Can't wait to make it. Super!

Honored Contributor

On 10/24/2014 sward05 said: English Toffee 1 cup sugar 1 cup butter 1 tbsp. water 6 Hershey bars 3/4 cup finelt chopped pecans Combine sugar, butter, and water in large sauce pan. Cook over medium heat to the hard-crack stage (medium brown in color...I gauge it by the color of Heath bars..appx. 25 minutes. Watch closely and stir frequently. Remove from heat and pour into a generously buttered 9 x 3 inch pan. Cover with Hershey bars and spread as soon as they melt (this will be fairly quick). Sprinkle with pecans. You may score candy into 1 inch pieces or let cool and break into pieces. I've been making this for many, many years and am always asked for more. I worked at a school that was always having luncheons...we decided the school was a front for a restaurant. Finally we created our own cookbook and this recipe was included in it.

This sounds delicious, thank you!!

One question...which may sound stupid BUT...the 6 hershey bars, are they the size of the candy bar you would purchase if you wanted a candy bar to eat (like at the grocery check out) or the LARGE hershey bar, used when melting chocolate for making buckeyes, etc., thanks.

Valued Contributor

I know that commercial. Do you know the name of the toffee? I'd rather buy it than make it.

Honored Contributor

On 10/24/2014 nona6 said:

I know that commercial. Do you know the name of the toffee? I'd rather buy it than make it.

google Janet Long Toffee there is an online store.

Trusted Contributor

Sward05, is that white sugar or brown sugar? I've always heard that toffee uses brown sugar while caramel uses white. Thanks for your help, this looks like a great recipe.

Honored Contributor

I'd rather buy it too. That's interesting that you knew the person that started the toffee business OP!

Valued Contributor

I found the toffee site online under Elaine's Toffee:

http://www.elainestoffee.com/product-category/almond-toffee/

You can order online or call to order.

There was a video on that site, also (youtube video) that shows how to make toffee. It was fun to watch. I've made almond toffee in the past, but it's been a long time. I live in Almond Country in California, so they're pretty plentiful here, even if just through friends.

I copied the toffee recipe from the YOUTUBE...you can do that as it plays, then stop it.

This is the page that has the youtube for the (Colorado) Columbine High School's recipe and instructions: http://www.elainestoffee.com/our-story/

Here's another English Toffee youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OUkd-IwlXI