Honored Contributor

MUSHROOM, RICE, NAPA CABBAGE STIR-FRY

This recipe was in a healthy cooking pamphlet. I tried it this week end and thought it was worth sharing.

2 t +1 T reduced sodium soy sauce
1 T balsamic vinegar
2 cloves minced garlic
2 T dry sherry
1 t molasses
2 T canola oil, divided
1/2 pound Shitake caps or cremini mushrooms finely chopped
2 cups cooked brown rice, cold
6 cups shredded napa cabbage
3 scallions, thinly sliced

In a small bowl. combine 2 t soy sauce, vinegar and garlic, set aside. In another small bowl combine 1 T soy sauce with sherry and molasses, set aside.

Heat 1 T of oil in large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Stir-fry mushrooms until browned (approx. 3-5 minutes). Add soy sauce/vinegar/garlic mixture and stir-fry until dry (1-2 minutes). Remove from skillet.

Add remaining 1 T oil to skillet and stir fry the rice for 1-2 minutes. Add the soy sauce/sherry/molasses -stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in the cabbage and stir-fry until wilted. Toss the mushrooms and scallions with the rice.

Serves 4

I wrote this recipe as it was written. I found it a little bland for my tastes so next time I may add some spice to it but I think it is worth playing around with. Hope you enjoy it.

Valued Contributor

Re: MUSHROOM, RICE, NAPA CABBAGE STIR-FRY

Yummy! I've added mushrooms and cabbage to my grocery list. Can't wait to try this. Thanks so much, DiAnne!

Honored Contributor

Thanks DiAnne! I always love trying your recipes.

Is Napa cabbage something different/special? I am not familiar with it. You buy it fresh in the product section?

Honored Contributor

On 10/23/2014 RespectLife said:

Thanks DiAnne! I always love trying your recipes.

Is Napa cabbage something different/special? I am not familiar with it. You buy it fresh in the product section?

Napa cabbage is used a lot in Asian cooking. It has a milder flavor than regular cabbage. It is the shape of a head of romaine lettuce and lighter in color with ruffled leaves. I have never been in a produce section that does not have it. Hope that helps!

Honored Contributor

I mentioned in the original recipe that I thought it was a little bland. When I reheated some the other day I drizzled some Yoshida's marinade and cooking sauce on it. Made all the difference. Probably a little soy sauce would work also.