Esteemed Contributor

I've seen the recent infomercials in promoting the Dump cake recipe book with Kathy Mitchell. Does anyone know if the dump cakes are all they are promoted to be? How about the dump meals? I'm tempted to buy the book/s but if it's all hype and just awful, I don't think I want to give it a second thought. What are your experiences?

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Re: Dump Cakes and Dump Meals

Sorry, I am of no help here. I can't bring myself to make anything with the word "dump" in it and serve or eat it. That just sounds so unappetizing.

Esteemed Contributor

The dump cake you make with cherry pie filling and pineapple is delicious and easy. Never heard of dump meals.

Honored Contributor

I saw them on another shopping channel. Haven't tried them, but the meals shown on air looked barely edible. Of course, the hosts raved about it. And what a horrible name. It certainly doesn't inspire a buy decision.

Respected Contributor

I have seen both books at Bed and Bath. They may be older versions but at least you can look through them to see if you like them. I have the Dump Cake book that I bought at Bed and Bath and it is not bad. Most recipes call for some sort of canned fruit addition. I hope this has helped you.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/21/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

Sorry, I am of no help here. I can't bring myself to make anything with the word "dump" in it and serve or eat it. That just sounds so unappetizing.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

I was making dump cakes as a young teen back in the 60's as my Grandmother taught me.

Yes, they are fine for a 1 minute quick dessert.

Assume the meals are as well. Great for a beginner cook.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if the 'dump meals' denotes dump cooking (i.e. dumping a bunch of stuff, and probably a can of soup) into a crock pot and turning it on).

I'm not one for dump cooking either, so I'm out. I would probably pass on this, but that's just me. I learned to cook when I was a very young child and, honestly, it's not at all complicated. It can be fun putting fresh ingredients together to create a lovely dish. The only parts of cooking that are very scientific are baking (such as baked goods, not putting a dish or meat in the oven to bake). Other than that it's pretty much using the ingredients you enjoy and making it happen. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

What took me years to realize is that recipes are just like books and music. What speaks to one person, may not do a thing for another. It's just a matter of personal taste.

I've read RAVE reviews on certain books that spurred me to read them - but I DESPISED them! (So much for the NYT best seller lists!) And I've highly recommended a book to someone that they couldn't get into at all. Same thing with recipes.

I'm not into the whole 'dump' thing either, but that doesn't make it bad. Different strokes!

Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Sabatini2 said:

What took me years to realize is that recipes are just like books and music. What speaks to one person, may not do a thing for another. It's just a matter of personal taste.

I've read RAVE reviews on certain books that spurred me to read them - but I DESPISED them! (So much for the NYT best seller lists!) And I've highly recommended a book to someone that they couldn't get into at all. Same thing with recipes.

I'm not into the whole 'dump' thing either, but that doesn't make it bad. Different strokes!

I agree with Sabatini.

I used to love to cook everything from scratch but now I have a very bad back and I need to sometimes use easy and fast recipes that are good.

I think the reason for the name is that there is no order when making the recipes and that you just dump everything in and bake. I have gotten some dump cake recipes from RS over the years and have to say that they were pretty good.