Frequent Contributor

I need your help RE-VAMPING "Honey Sesame Chicken" leftovers

So I made a new crockpot recipe called "Honey Sesame", and it wasn't a hit in my house Smiley Sad

I would hate to throw out so much left over chicken, but I don't know how to revamp cuts of chicken breasts with a slight sweet taste. Do you have any recommendations on how to re-vamp this, so those poor chickens didn't waste their lives on my bad recipe? Keep in mind, the sesame seeds aren't added to the leftovers, just chunks of chicken with a slight sweetness.

Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

Re: I need your help RE-VAMPING ""Honey Sesame Chicken"" leftovers

One time, I ordered ribs at a restaurant. The meat was good, but the spicing was terrible. I took it home, rinsed it in warm water, put it in a hot pan and re-spiced it. Add some rice and veggies. Hopefully, this will work for you!

Super Contributor

Chop the chicken and add it to a soup recipe.......include veggies and then include either diced potatoes, rice or pasta.........I have used left over chicken dishes in the past as the meat base for soups and stews. ...... The liquids in the soup will mellow the intensity of the flavors that you don't care for. .....and rinsing the chicken in water is a good idea......
Respected Contributor

Make fried rice and chop up the left over chicken and add it to the fried rice that last few minutes to get the chicken hot. I think that sesame flavor would be perfect for that dish. I'd probably add some diced ham also, but that is just me.

Respected Contributor

I would probably experiment with a piece or two....try adding some spicy bbq sauce to coat a few pieces...to offset the honey sweetness.Then if it tasted good,I might make bbq chicken wraps with grated cheese,lettuce,onion... or chop it up and add bbq sauce and then make bbq chicken pizza....with pineapple,red onion,etc.I like to spread the the bottom crust with a few wedges of laughing cow cheese (chipotle or garlic and herb) to add a creamy base and it really amps up the cheese without needing so much shredded cheese.( I too have rinsed off too sweet sauces off of chicken and then added Sweet baby Ray's Cola-q bbq sauce ...lol). I just ,like you,try not to waste food.
Super Contributor

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has rinsed off a chicken after a recipe gone bad! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

You've got some good ideas here. The 1st things that came to mind for me was chicken salad or fried rice, where any sweetness that lasts might be more acceptable.

Good luck, and I hope you end up with a tasty revamping...and don't create an even bigger disaster! I've done that too. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Honored Contributor

I would make an Asian chicken salad, with shredded cabbage, soba noodles, pea pods, peppers, scallions, etc. and serve it warm or cold.

Respected Contributor

On 10/19/2014 lolakimono said:

I would make an Asian chicken salad, with shredded cabbage, soba noodles, pea pods, peppers, scallions, etc. and serve it warm or cold.

that sounds very tasty.
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was vacillating between the soup and Asian chicken salad idea, when I recalled this Mulligatawny Soup from Pioneer Women because I've made it before (to die for!), and because since it does call for 1T-Brwon Sugar, I cam omit it, as my chicken has that hint of sweetness from the honey. Also, they are both Asian in origin so I see it working.

And to thank you for the suggestion, I will link this tried & true soup if you care to fancy it also:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/12/easy-mulligatawny/