Contributor
Does anybody have a really, really good recipe for a lighter version of lasagna soup? I've heard about this soup but have never tasted it. However, I need a diabetic friendly version. Thank you all in advance.
Honored Contributor

Someone, please provide a recipe. I never even heard of Lasagna Soup, but I'd love see some recipes for it.

Honored Contributor

I've had soupy lasagna, but that wasn't by design. Lasagna soup doesn't sound interesting or even very good. I presume it uses some other kind of pasta.

Respected Contributor

Lasagna Soup

(Makes 4 servings)

Ingredients

Kosher salt

8 ounces lasagna noodles, broken into pieces (about 10 noodles)

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling

1 onion, chopped

1/2 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
(you can also substitute ground beef if you prefer)

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 teaspoon dried oregano

2 tablespoons tomato paste

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 15 -ounce can crushed tomatoes

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, plus thinly sliced leaves for topping

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for sprinkling, optional)

1/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half

Ricotta cheese, for topping

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook as the label directs. Drain; drizzle with olive oil and toss.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the sausage, garlic and oregano and cook, stirring and breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon, until the sausage is browned, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until darkened, about 2 minutes.

Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and 1 cup water; cover and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Stir in the noodles, basil, parmesan and heavy cream; simmer 2 more minutes.

Divide the soup among bowls. Top with ricotta and sliced basil.

* I'd rather put the ricotta in the bottom of the bowl before I put the soup in, then sprinkle some mozzarella on top.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Funky. I was thinking that cottage cheese might go into the soup and I knew that would not go over well at my house. Since I like lasagna, I'd be open to trying this.

Super Contributor
On 10/18/2014 ValuSkr said:

I've had soupy lasagna, but that wasn't by design. Lasagna soup doesn't sound interesting or even very good. I presume it uses some other kind of pasta.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I didn't think it sounded very good either, but looked up a few recipes and found this popular one on "a farmgirl's dabbles". Now I wanna run out and buy that cute mafalda pasta! BTW, the 'cheesy yum' sounds a little corny, ... or cheesy.

Here's her recipe, w/ a link that follows, in case you're interested:

Lasagna Soup

yield: 8 SERVINGS

ingredients:

for the soup:

2 tsp. olive oil

1-1/2 lbs. Italian sausage

3 c. chopped onions

4 garlic cloves, minced

2 tsp. dried oregano

1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

2 T. tomato paste

1 28-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes

2 bay leaves

6 c. chicken stock

8 oz. mafalda or fusilli pasta

1/2 c. finely chopped fresh basil leaves

salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

for the cheesy yum:

8 oz. ricotta

1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 tsp. salt

pinch of freshly ground pepper

additional cheesy yum:

2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

preparation:

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking up into bite sized pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.

Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente. Do not over cook or let soup simmer for a long period of time at this point, as the pasta will get mushy and absorb all the soup broth. You may even want to consider cooking the noodles separately, and then adding some to individual bowls before ladling the soup over them. This would be an especially smart move if you are anticipating any leftovers. Right before serving, stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheesy yum. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.

To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.

Lasagna Soup • a farmgirl's dabblesa farmgirl's dabbles

Respected Contributor
On 10/18/2014 ValuSkr said:

ROFL - you are my twin! I make it a point to make my lasagna firm, not soupy, with extra sauce on the side for those who prefer it.

But, (as usual) these recipes are making me want to give lasagna soup a whirl!

Denise
Super Contributor

oh how yummy this sounds. I adore Lasagna . I do prefer it on the thick side with an almost burnt edge. I always settle for the edge of the dish.

Trusted Contributor
I will have to try this. It sounds good to me.
Honored Contributor

LOL soupy lasagna...I've served a few of those by accident! I like my ricotta filling really firm....but can't seem to get that right anymore!

Sabatini...that pasta is so cute! I have never even heard of mafalda pasta! I am going to have to search those noodles down! Only have 1 'Italian' market left near me....maybe they have them and I just didn't notice.