Super Contributor

Crockpot Fig Apple Butter - Easy & Delicious

Ingredients

Approx. 20 dried black figs, stems removed, cut in half
6-8 apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 cup apple cider
½ cup honey (or other sweetener such as maple syrup)
3 tablespoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of salt

Optional: pinch of Grains of Paradise (peppery in flavor - hard to find spice, except online) + pinch of freshly ground Cardamom

Instructions

1.Place all ingredients in the slow cooker. Mix well.

2.Put the slow cooker at low and cook for 6-8 hours until apples are completely soft

3.Place ingredients in food processor and puree until smooth.

4.Store in refrigerator in a glass jar.

Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

Re: Crockpot Fig Apple Butter - Easy & Delicious

Yum. I love figs and Apple butter. I must try this.
Super Contributor

On 10/15/2014 birkin baby said: Yum. I love figs and Apple butter. I must try this.

I have a large crockpot - so made a double batch, yet reduced the cinnamon to 5 tablespoons instead of six. Next time I'll use full six - I know, it sounds like a lot, but it's awesome. You can also sub a pinch Black Pepper instead Grains of Paradise (it does make a wonderful addition) or you can serve with a cheese board & peppery crackers or buttery crostini w/cracked fresh pepper.

Plan to gift this in pretty little jars come X-mas! Best recipe and easiest I've made. Do report back - you'll love it. Grew up eating Fig Newtons as my favorite sweet treat.

Respected Contributor

I love things like this, and I would love to make it, but can you tell me about storage? I have never canned anything and I would be afraid to try without some sort of formal instruction. Could it be frozen in small batches? Thanks Poodlepet
Super Contributor

Poodlepet - Here's a link where your answers can be found. A single batch never lasts long in our house!

http://www.pickyourown.org/applebutter.htm#.VD_u_mctCM8

Respected Contributor

Naturalbornwoman, I may try this with the idea of storing it in the fridge and giving a jar or two away. I really, really want to make this, but I have a healthy respect for canning. I don't have a heated dry cycle on my Bosch dishwasher, but hey, the Amish don't have dishwashers and they can everything, right? One last question-I can't imagine using too much sugar in your recipe because of the figs, but even if I didn't use it, all of those natural sugars could burn. I have used the disposable crock pot liners before, but have you ever used them for this? My son made a brisket on low for 8 hours, and he told me the liner melted! That has never happened to me, but I thought I would ask....Thanks, Poodlepet
Super Contributor

I've never used the liners - always @ home when my crockpot is "in use" so I've never burned anything either. Just keep a close eye on the last hour or so of cooking time.

Just make a single batch your first go around - it's a very simple recipe, but you might want to adjust the spices to your taste after the beginner's batch!