Esteemed Contributor

Lemon Melting Moments - Cookie (w/ questions)

Lemon Melting Moments
about 4 dozen, depending on size

Cookies
2 1/4 cups butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 3/4 cups flour
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
Pinch of salt

Cream the butter. Sift the powdered sugar, flour, and cornstarch and add, mixing until smooth. Add the flavorings and salt. Chill for about an hour, then roll into 1/2 inch to 1 inch balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350ºF for about 12-15 minutes, or until just set. Do not let them brown. Glaze immediately, while warm.

Glaze
3 cups powdered sugar
3 teaspoons soft butter
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

For the glaze, warm the butter until soft and mix with the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Dollop on top of each cookie with a brush or spoon, letting it run down the sides.

I found this recipe.

Did you notice the 1 cup of cornstarch? "They are called Melting Moments because one of their key ingredients is cornstarch and they literally melt in your mouth!"

Q: I never used so much cornstarch in a recipe before. Has anyone, and does the resulting product really have that melt-in-your-mouth effect?

Q: Also, the lemon flavor is only in the glaze. It is a bit curious that the flavoring they add is almond extract (not so much this), but orange extract. I suppose I could use lemon zest & juice instead of the orange extract?

Honored Contributor

Re: Lemon Melting Moments - Cookie (w/ questions)

I think I'm with you on replacing the orange extract with lemon. That was the first thing that struck me - no lemon in the cookie.

The cornstarch thing does seem unusual to me too. Have you tried the recipe yet?

I really haven't used cornstarch in the longest time that I'm not even that familiar with it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/14/2014 chickenbutt said:

I think I'm with you on replacing the orange extract with lemon. That was the first thing that struck me - no lemon in the cookie.

The cornstarch thing does seem unusual to me too. Have you tried the recipe yet?

I really haven't used cornstarch in the longest time that I'm not even that familiar with it.

No, haven't tried yet. I'm curious about all that cornstarch. I've never seen a recipe that called for so much, and wondered if you all had.

Respected Contributor

This recipe feels a little sketchy. My instinct (guess) thinks the confectioners' sugar and corn starch should be equal quantities (BTW, good 10X sugar should contain 3% cornstarch) and that there should definitely be lemon juice and zest. If I were you, my ultimate decision would be based on:

1. The source for the recipe. Is it a known, trustworthy source?

2. A thorough Internet search for correction or validation of the recipe. Reviewers’ comments can be valuable to determine either.

3. If this is a first attempt with the recipe, and especially if I were leery of it, I certainly would not be willing to risk the amount of groceries for so large a quantity. If I determined to try it, I’d cut the recipe for the initial baking, thereby risking less investment of money and time.

Wishing you good luck with your endeavors, and will be interested in learning of your results and opinions.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Harpa, compare your recipe to this version.

Trusted Contributor

This is the recipe I use. These are so good!

Melting Moment Cookies

1 cup unsifted flour

1/2 cup corn starch

1/2 cup confectioners sugar

3/4 cup butter

1 teaspoon vanilla

1. In bowl, stir together first three ingredients.

2. In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat butter until smooth. Beat in flour mixture and vanilla until well blended. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour.

3. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet; flatten with lightly floured fork.

4. Bake in 375 degree oven 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Makes 2 dozen.

Honored Contributor

Wow, maybe it's not too much after all. Comparing it to Oceantown's recipe hers has, comparatively speaking, even more cornstarch.

Yours is a pretty huge recipe when you look at the quantities of all the ingredients.

Respected Contributor

In Oceantown's recipe the flour-to-sugar & cornstarch ratio is 2 parts flour to 1 part each sugar and cornstarch. In your recipe, Harpa, the ratio is 5 1/2 parts flour to 2 parts cornstarch and 1 part confectioners' sugar.

ETA: I was interrupted at the keyboard before finishing this comparison of fat to dry ingredients, but, now that I'm back to this thread, I see Oceantown has done it in her post at #10.

The discrepancy between the recipes is too wide. Harpa, if I were you, I'd disregard your version and either adapt Oceantown's tried and true recipe with lemon juice or continue looking.

Trusted Contributor

I highly recommend the recipe I posted. I am surprised there is only 1/2 cup powdered sugar in the posted recipe. (compared to the amounts of the other ingredients)

The recipe I posted is simple and delicious. It does not need a glaze. Very tender cookie.

Esteemed Contributor

Now, I'm looking at all the butter in my originally posted recipe! Maybe that's where the melt-in-your-mouth comes from, too.

TY, all! Thanks for the comparison recipes!