Honored Contributor

Famous Apple Hill Cake Recipe-from Northern Cal's Placerville area Apple Hill

Received this easy to make recipe from a friend in San Francisco. Placerville is located north of San Francisco en route to Lake Tahoe. So delish for breakfast or dessert!!! Enjoy

Apple Hill Cake

"This is the most popular cake that's sold at the famous Northern California's Placerville Apple Hill during harvest time.You can omit the walnuts if you wish or you can add raisins or dried cranberries."

Ingredients
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 cups diced apples
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
Directions
  1. Combine sugar,oil,and eggs in a large bowl, stirring until well mixed.
  2. Stir in diced apples and nuts.
  3. Sift together flour, baking soda, nutmeg,cinnamon and salt, then add to bowl.
  4. Stir all ingredients together to form a batter (do not overmix).
  5. Pour into 9x13 inch greased pan.
  6. Bake one hour in a 350 degree oven.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

Re: Famous Apple Hill Cake Recipe-from Northern Cal's Placerville area Apple Hill

Thank you, I have just copied this one!
Honored Contributor

Re: Famous Apple Hill Cake Recipe-from Northern Cal's Placerville area Apple Hill

On 10/12/2014 Mustangshar said: Thank you, I have just copied this one!
Shar-we make it for Thanksgiving & it's as popular as the pumpkin pie! Love it as a breakfast coffee cake with a big mug of coffee.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Contributor

many thanks!

Respected Contributor

From one ChiTown girl to another, just copied it, plan to make it this week-end when I get home, maybe you'll small it lol

Thanx

Respected Contributor

I've been to Apple Hill many times, they sell pies, fritters, cakes. apple cider, jams, butters in addition to apples. On the weekend there are crafts. Most of the orchards are on two windy little roads in the foothills. It is so popular now that there are traffic jams on the weekends. Several weeks ago, one of the fires was fairly close by. Love living in Northern California.
Honored Contributor

On 10/15/2014 spix said:

From one ChiTown girl to another, just copied it, plan to make it this week-end when I get home, maybe you'll small it lol

Thanx

Lol! I'm a great cook, not much of a baker. Love the simplicity of this recipe-basically just dump the ingredients, mix a little and bake. Hope you enjoy it!

Valued Contributor

I have enough Gala apples, on hand, to make this, think they would be okay to use?

Valued Contributor

On 10/15/2014 chessylady said: I've been to Apple Hill many times, they sell pies, fritters, cakes. apple cider, jams, butters in addition to apples. On the weekend there are crafts. Most of the orchards are on two windy little roads in the foothills. It is so popular now that there are traffic jams on the weekends. Several weeks ago, one of the fires was fairly close by. Love living in Northern California.

chessylady, I also have been to Apple Hill many times. I believe the fire you are speaking about was the King Fire. Thankfully the rain we had in late September helped put out the fire.

Frequent Contributor

Count me in. Sounds delicious.