Makes 24 rolls

2 packages active dry yeast

1¼ cups very warm water (150°F)

3 large eggs, room temperature

5 cups bread flour

½ c. sugar

1 c. (2 sticks) melted butter

2 teaspoons salt

Sprinkle yeast into ¼ cup of very warm water and stir with a fork. Set aside for 10 minutes until bubbles form.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then blend in the yeast mixture.

Starting with the flour, add 2½ cups of the flour alternately with the remaining 1 cup of very warm water. Then mix in the sugar, ½ cup of the melted butter, and the salt. Mix until smooth. Beat in the remaining 2½ cups of flour to make a soft dough. Cover with a dish towel, put in a warm, draft free place, and let rise until double in bulk, 1 to 2 hours

Punch the dough down, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, grease 24 muffin cups and set aside. Punch the dough down again and divide in half. On a floured board, roll out each half into a rectangle, 8 by 15 inches. Spread with the remaining ½ cup of butter. Starting with the long edge, roll up each piece of dough in jelly-roll fashion. With a very sharp knife, cut each roll into twelve 1" slices. Place the slices in the prepared muffin cups, cut side up. Let rise until doubled in bulk, 40 minutes to an hour.

While the dough is rising preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake the rolls until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Immediately brush with butter. remove the rolls from the pan and cool on a wire rack. The rolls can be stored in a sealed plastic bag and remain fresh for 3 to 4 days. These rolls can also be sealed in a plastic bag and frozen for up to 6 months.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

Re: Overnight Butter Dinner Rolls

These sound wonderful! Thanks! I had a recipe years ago that I can no longer find. It was for "no knead rolls". I think this may fit the bill!

Thanks, again!

Gloria

Respected Contributor

Wismiss--these rolls look great. Do you have to mix the ingredients by hand or can you use a mixer? If you can use the mixer, do you need to use the dough hook or will the regular mixing blade work? Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Gloria and Meezer. I am going to make these this week with a casserole on Wednesday. So, I'll have to start them tomorrow.

Meezer: I found these in an Amish cookbook this afternoon and I am going to use my dough hook, just like when I make my regular bread. I will probably use speed 1 or 2 at the most. When I make bread, I never go higher than a 2 and always use the dough hook.

I have found that Amish cookbooks almost always have wonderful recipes. I hope you both enjoy these.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

On 10/6/2014 wismiss said:

Thanks, Gloria and Meezer. I am going to make these this week with a casserole on Wednesday. So, I'll have to start them tomorrow.

Meezer: I found these in an Amish cookbook this afternoon and I am going to use my dough hook, just like when I make my regular bread. I will probably use speed 1 or 2 at the most. When I make bread, I never go higher than a 2 and always use the dough hook.

I have found that Amish cookbooks almost always have wonderful recipes. I hope you both enjoy these.

Wismiss--I look forward to reading your thoughts on this recipe. You have posted some wonderful bread recipes.

Frequent Contributor

Do you think this would be ok in a bread machine? Thank you!

Regular Contributor

I have a question. The melted butter, 1/2 cup goes into the dough. The next day "spread" with remaining 1/2 cup. Is it still melted? Did you let it harden up from the day before or did you heat it up so it is melted?

I am "afraid" of bread making (which is why I have a machine!!) but always say I'm going to try a good and easy recipe!

Trusted Contributor

These turned out fantastically. I did use the KA mixer with the dough hook on the low settings and it worked OK.

iQue: I melt one stick of butter the first day to make the dough. Then the second day I melt another stick of butter. You use 1/4 cup for each part that you roll out, as this makes 2 rolls that you cut to make 24 rolls.

BobBoo2, I would think you could mix it in your machine but once your machine is ready to bake it, take the dough out of your machine, and follow the directions from there on---punch it down and put it in the refrigerator and keep following the recipe.

Hope all of you enjoy them. I froze about 2/3 of the ones I made so I will see how the texture is after being frozen. Some breads don't freeze well, at least in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

On 10/6/2014 Gloria said:

These sound wonderful! Thanks! I had a recipe years ago that I can no longer find. It was for "no knead rolls". I think this may fit the bill!

Thanks, again!

Gloria

Try googling "spoon rolls" and see if any of them would work for you! Someone I know made wonderful ones, they rose over night in the fridge and she baked them in muffin tins.