Super Contributor

Help with a chili recipe. . .

Today some friends and I had lunch in a tiny deli in Newton, Kansas. I had their chili; it was delicious but way different than what I've made for a hundred years. It had a tomato base, ground beef, kidney beans AND CARROTS (small pieces). It was a little thicker than I usually make and the waitress said it had bulgur in it. Do any of you have a recipe like this? I love chili (we start eating it the night of the first high school football game; a family tradition!) and have it often all fall/winter. A few years ago I was introduced to Taco Soup (chili like with the addition of corn and ranch dressing seasoning); it's now a family favorite, too! Any thoughts about the chili/carrot/bulgur soup would be appreciated!

Honored Contributor

Re: Help with a chili recipe. . .

DH makes this Chili. He calls it Da~mn Good Chili. Does not have bulgur in it but has carrots.

1-2 T olive oil

1 lb sirloin, cubed

1 lb ground beef

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 bottle of beer (DH uses a bottle of his homebrew)

1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes

1 c strong coffee

1 T tomato paste

1 T chili sauce

1 T cocoa powder

1/2 c finely chopped jalapeno pepper

1/4 c brown sugar

1 T heaping of cumin

1 t heaping of coriander

1 t cayenne pepper

1 t sea salt

2 15 oz cans kidney beans

1 15 oz can white beans

2-3 large carrots, sliced discs

In large stock pot, heat oil over med heat to brown sirloin first then the beef. When meat is lightly browned add onions. Add the beer, tomatoes, coffee & tomato paste. Add sugar, spices & kidney beans. Reduce stove to low & let simmer for an hour. Add white beans & carrots, simmer for another hour or two; longer is better.

Super Contributor

Sounds intriguing. I did a google search and came up with this http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bean---bulgur-chili/print Not sure if this would be close to what your talking about, but I think I might try this recipe!

Super Contributor

I'm not sure it's the flavor of that particular chili you are looking for or if you are mystified by the bulgur and carrots?

You can add chopped or minced carrots to any of your favorite chilis (I add veggies when I can, for interest and for extra plant nourishment, even finely chopped kale) and bulgur can be rinsed and added near the end to make it thicker. It's just a grain product, like you might add corn masa to thicken a chili.

I thicken chili just by pureeing some beans, but I could imaging adding some quinoa for substance and thickening, but for us, never wheat bulgur just because of dietary reasons. - Bird

Super Contributor

very basic, but remember Better than Bullion on the Q? Well, it's now in grocery stores , as you know, but I went online and got some mushroom and chili Better than Bullion. I've used the chili one and it was really delicious. My son liked it (we're kind of chili finaciados?!). He's made chili using venison and I thought I'd never like it, but yep I did. (the mushroom bullion was because I couldn't get the cubes and needed them for a City Chicken Recipe I had found here,,,,from around Pgh. and miss City Chicken like crazy!!). sorry to run on and a bit OT.

Respected Contributor

I never thought of putting carrots in chili, but it sounds really good. I used to make a vegetarian chili using bulgur instead of the meat. You could "stretch" the hamburger using bulgur too! Never thought of doing that.

My favorite chili recipe is Wendy's copycat chili recipe, but I might play around with it adding carrots and bulgur. Great idea!

Super Contributor

I usually add finely chopped/diced to my chili and spaghetti gravy.........The sweetness of the carrots even out the acid in the tomatoes besides more fiber and nutrition. .........
Respected Contributor

On 9/28/2014 MOM of Mason said: I usually add finely chopped/diced to my chili and spaghetti gravy.........The sweetness of the carrots even out the acid in the tomatoes besides more fiber and nutrition. .........

Such a great idea. I am going to do the same thing.

Respected Contributor

I always add shredded carrot to my chili.....LOVE chili!

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

Thanks to all of you for the input! Now I'm wondering if there really was ground beef in that delicious soup... maybe it was vegetarian and I wasn't the wiser. Anyway I appreciate your recipe/suggestions. . .Thank You!