Frequent Contributor

Anyone got a good recipe for baked apples to share?

Hubby has been asking for baked apples, I remember mom making them when we was little I never ate them, now that our mothers are gone so are their recipes, oh wish we would have paid attention more...........

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone got a good recipe for baked apples to share?

I make them in the fall when apples are recently harvested. I don't use a recipe, just add ingredients I like. I cut the apple in half and remove the core. This gives me baked half apples. They cook faster. Sprinkle on spices you like--cinnamon is a must. Raisins or nuts can go in the cavity if you have them. I make a syrup to baste the apples with while they cook: equal parts light pancake syrup and water with a splash of vanilla and a little butter. The syrup goes over the apples and the rest goes in the baking pan. Baste a few times while baking with the syrup till the apple is soft.

Or just Google for baked apple recipes but they are easy to make.

Occasional Contributor

I saw Chris Kimble of Cooks Country on the Today Show a while ago and he had a recipe for Best Baked Apples. Here is the recipe.

Best Baked Apples

Ingredients

7 large (about 6 ounces each) Granny Smith apples (see note)

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/3 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped

1/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted

3 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats

1 teaspoon finely grated zest from 1 orange

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Pinch table salt

1/3 cup maple syrup

1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple cider

Preparation

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Peel, core, and cut 1 apple into 1/4-inch dice. Combine 5 tablespoons of -butter, brown sugar, cranberries, pecans, oats, orange zest, cinnamon, diced apple, and salt in large bowl; set aside.

2. Shave thin slice off bottom (blossom end) of remaining 6 apples to allow them to sit flat. Cut top 1/2 inch off stem end of apples and reserve. Peel apples and use melon baller or small measuring spoon to remove 1½-inch diameter core, being careful not to cut through bottom of apple.

3. Melt remaining tablespoon butter in 12-inch nonstick oven safe skillet over medium heat. Once foaming subsides, add apples, stem-side down, and cook until cut surface is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip apples, reduce heat to low, and spoon filling inside, mounding excess filling over cavities; top with reserved apple caps. Add maple syrup and 1/3 cup cider to skillet. Transfer skillet to oven, and bake until skewer inserted into apples meets little resistance, 35 to 40 minutes, basting every 10 minutes with maple syrup mixture in skillet.

4. Transfer apples to serving platter. Stir up to 2 tablespoons remaining cider into sauce in skillet to adjust consistency. Pour sauce over apples and serve.

Tips: If you don't have an ovenproof skillet, transfer the browned apples to a 13- by 9-inch baking dish and bake as directed. The recipe calls for 7 apples; 6 are left whole and 1 is diced and added to the filling. Serve the apples with vanilla ice cream, if desired.

Makes 6 servings

Esteemed Contributor

Smag's recipe sounds great!

My aunt always makes a crust to wrap around the whole peeled apple, stuffed in the core w/ brown sugar, butter & cinnamon.

I've just cut up peeled apple slices already, sprinkled w/ brown sugar, butter & cinnamon, and that seems to work nicely.

My calendar for today - 2 October

Braeburn, Jonathan & MacIntosh for sauce

Cortland, Newtown Pippin, and Rhode Island Greening for pies

Fuji, Granny Smith, Rome Beauty for baking

Frequent Contributor

On 10/2/2014 Harpa said:

Smag's recipe sounds great!

My aunt always makes a crust to wrap around the whole peeled apple, stuffed in the core w/ brown sugar, butter & cinnamon

I've just cut up peeled apple slices already, sprinkled w/ brown sugar, butter & cinnamon, and that seems to work nicely.

My calendar for today - 2 October

Braeburn, Jonathan & MacIntosh for sauce

Cortland, Newtown Pippin, and Rhode Island Greening for pies

Fuji, Granny Smith, Rome Beauty for baking

The crusted version in our area is called Apple Dumplings and I'm an "addict" for them ... ?? family tradition that is made into a whole meal occasionally. Our baked apples are similar to how PinkyPetunia does them, especially holidays, but no vanilla ... which we will have to try ... Mmmmmmm!
Regular Contributor

I make them the way my mother used to. Core them, stand them upright in a baking pan, shove in a little butter,brown sugar, a sprinkle of cinnamon in the cored part. Bake them at 350 for half hour or so. Done.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks ladies I think I'll take a little of everyones recipe and put together and come up with my own seems what I'm reading there is no wrong way. I was to little and never ate them and had no idea where to start, actually I bought 4 big jumbo apples today and decided ok we're going to try this. Thanks for giving me some ideas to run with.

Respected Contributor

Navada, I haven't baked them in years. Not since I sprinkled with Cayanne (sp?) instead of cinnamon. LOL

Don't do what I did!

Frequent Contributor

I bet no one in the family ever asked for them again did they??????????????????????? thats a thought though hubby been bugging me at least once a week.

Respected Contributor

Mine is fairly simple. I core apples (Honeycrisp work well if you like a soft apple.) I put them in a ceramic baking dish and fill the cores with maple syrup (the real stuff) a sliver of butter and a shake of good cinnamon from Penzeys. Bake at 350 until they are soft.