Honored Contributor

RecipeSmiley Tongueumpkin Custard Pie (mother’s old recipe) {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

3 eggs

2 cups pumpkin (fresh or canned)

¾ cup sugar

½ teas. salt

pumpkin pie spice – approx. 1 ½ teas.

1 2/3 cups regular milk

sprinkle cinnamon on top

In large bowl with electric mixer beat eggs and pumpkin at low speed.Add sugar, salt and pumpkin spice and beat on low until combined.Add milk and beat on medium until smooth.

Using two 9” pie crusts, pour about 2 cups of filling into each pan.Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon on top.

Conventional Oven: Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 45 minutes or until crust is browned.

New Option ~~~ Convectional Oven: Bake at 335 degrees.Bake 20 minutes, rotate half way and bake 18 minutes more.

Optional ~~ Serve with whipped cream.

Yield:2 - 9” pies ~~~ Delicious

Note: I am going to make this pie on Friday. Since it makes two pies I will keep one and give the other to a neighbor as a "just because" present. This is my mother’s recipe for pumpkin custard pie. It is a very old recipe, and has been used in our family owned restaurant for almost 25 years.It’s always requested by customers, especially in the fall.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Valued Contributor

Re: Recipe: Pumpkin Custard Pie

Thanks! Sounds good!
Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing your mothers pumpkin pie recipe! Love the "tried & true" from posters and this being in served in your restaurant for so many years, it must be good!! Just made a Pumpkin Spice Cake and I will be making these pies tomorrow!

Does this pie freeze well? I usually end up giving some or in this case a whole pie away also to neighbors but might want to freeze one if that works.

Honored Contributor

This is very close to the recipe that I make. I use canned milk instead of whole milk. I have pumpkin puree in my freezer and now you've made me hungry.

I guess I need to get baking.

Honored Contributor

gkelly ... I have never frozen pumpkin pie; however, according to the Internet it will freeze well if you do it correctly. They recommend the following:

" ... You can freeze pretty much any type of pie. When frozen incorrectly, pumpkin pie can become soggy and inedible upon thawing. Follow these few simple steps to ensure a pie that tastes as good after it’s been frozen as it did fresh out of the oven.

Cook your pie according to the recipe, and then let the pie cool completely. Place the pie in the fridge until slightly chilled before preparing it for the freezer. A pie that is still warm will cause condensation and moisture to get trapped between the pie and the wrap, making the pie wet and soggy upon defrosting. Carefully wrap the pie in plastic wrap, being careful not to leave any part uncovered. Once wrapped, cover the entire pie in aluminum foil. With a permanent marker, label and date the foil. A pumpkin pie can be frozen up to a month, but ideally would be consumed within a few weeks of freezing..."

Honored Contributor

I just made two pumpkin custard pies today and gave one to our neighbors. They just left; had come over to thank us for the pie and give us an update on their home. It's for sale but has not sold yet. People interested and real estate agent want them to remodel the kitchen and install granite and replace appliances with stainless steel. That's crazy; I say let the buyers do that themselves if they want granite and SS.

New Contributor

Sounds like my Grandmothers recipe as well. And I use canned cream in place of whole milk. It tastes so good, I am ready to do some fall cooking.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

Wow! Sounds delicious considering I love anything pumpkin!! Will def try!!!