Esteemed Contributor

Bobby Flay's Blackberry-Hazelnut Sticky Buns

Bobby Flay’s Blackberry-Hazelnut Sticky Buns

Saw Bobby make these last weekend and just had to give them a go. So delicious! I used frozen blackberries well patted down, then allowed time to further drain on more paper towels. Though we still have berries in the markets here, they’re on the sour side, hence the frozen berries.

Total Time: 1 hr 40 min

Prep: 30 min Inactive Prep: 35 min Cook: 35 min

Level: Easy

Yield: 12 (His yield was 11)

Topping Ingredients:

5 Tbs unsalted butter, plus more for greasing

1 c. fresh or frozen blackberries

2 Tbs granulated pure cane sugar

1 Tbs fresh lemon juice

½ c. packed light brown sugar (muscovado was specified)

¾ c. toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped

Filling Ingredients:

Flour, for work surface

One 17.3 oz/2-sheet package all-butter puff pastry, defrosted

4 Tbs unsalted butter, room temp

2 cups fresh blackberries, halved (I used frozen)

1/3 c. granulated pure cane sugar

2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:

For the topping: Grease a 12-cup standard muffin tin with butter, even if using a nonstick tin. Combine the blackberries, granulated sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Let this macerate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Mash with a fork, then strain the juice into a small bowl and discard the solids. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the brown sugar and blackberry juice and cook until the mixture is smooth and slightly thickened (this is the caramel). Divide the caramel mixture among the cups, then divide the hazelnuts over the caramel. For the filling: Preheat the oven to 375. Place the muffin tin on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Lightly flour a flat surface. Unfold each sheet (2 ea) of puff pastry onto the floured surface and lightly roll out with a rolling pin to an even thickness. Brush both sheets with the butter, leaving a 1” border on the puff pastry. Divide the blackberries over the butter. Combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the surface of each sheet. Starting with the end nearest you, roll the pastry up snugly like a jelly roll around the filling, finishing the roll with the seam-side down. Trim the ends of the roll about ½” and discard. Slice the roll in 6 equal pieces, each about 1-1/2” wide. Place each piece spiral-side up, in 6 of the muffin cups. Repeat with the remaining pastry sheet. Bake until the sticky buns are golden to dark brown on top and firm to the touch, 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven onto a baking rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Use a small offset spatula to remove the buns from the tins and place upside down on a serving dish or platter. ENJOY!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Bobby Flay's Blackberry-Hazelnut Sticky Buns

Wow, that sounds like a great combination!

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/23/2014 Vamp said:

Wow, that sounds like a great combination!

It is. And you know what the best thing is about this recipe? You could remove the blackberries and insert whatever you like.

What really drew me to this, as I was watching him make this, was that he was using high quality, pre-made puff pastry, like that which I purchased at Whole Foods. I simply love puff pastry!

I've made enough sticky buns in my life to know that a recipe which does not include making a yeast dough and replaces it with puff pastry is not only interesting but a "must do."

Valued Contributor

Hi SFNative, I love blackberries - I am going to give this a try at my house and, if I can do it right, I will make it for my parents. They would love a treat like this - I grew up eating hazelnuts and walnuts, they were always in the house. Thank you for posting this recipe!

Also I want to say I hope you are feeling better soon - I saw your thread about your back, it sounds so incredibly painful. I have been blessed to not have back problems, but I know people who do. There don't seem to be very many easy solutions when it comes to one's back{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Valued Contributor

Sorry, dup. post

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/23/2014 mewsmomtoo said:

Hi SFNative, I love blackberries - I am going to give this a try at my house and, if I can do it right, I will make it for my parents. They would love a treat like this - I grew up eating hazelnuts and walnuts, they were always in the house. Thank you for posting this recipe!

Also I want to say I hope you are feeling better soon - I saw your thread about your back, it sounds so incredibly painful. I have been blessed to not have back problems, but I know people who do. There don't seem to be very many easy solutions when it comes to one's back{#emotions_dlg.sad}

mewsmomtoo,

I hope they come out well for you and that your partents like them too. Since we moved to Oregon last year, which is the state where hazelnuts are grown, I can now make anything I want with hazelnuts without paying a mint for the nuts.

Thank you for your kind words about my back. Went to the doc today, had x-rays and fortunately I don't have a compression fracture, nor did any of the hardware from my surgery get displaced. So, it's a case of nerves having gotten pinched, so I have muscle spasms. Could be worse. Am so glad it isn't.

~Rebecca

Valued Contributor

Glad you got some good news about your back, I guess now it is a matter of time (and muscle relaxers?). Good luck and thanks again for the recipe. I might have a chance to try it this weekend, if not, definitely next weekend.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds fantastic!