Honored Contributor

I Just Made the BEST Fresh Apple Caramel Cake!

A local bakery sells slices of this cake for $3.25 EACH. I knew if I checked around, I could get the recipe. It's in a book I already had - "The Gift of Southern Cooking" by Scott Peacock & Edna Lewis.

I used apples from the farmer's market - Cortlands. I added extra spices and included a tablespoon of King Arthur's Boiled Apple Cider in both the cake & the topping. This turned out fantastic - custard-like - not too sweet, fresh tasting and easy to make. I am going to make this again next weekend...I'm visiting friends in the Adirondaks and I'll bring this 9x13 cake.

I know from getting this at the bakery - it keeps very well too!

http://inasouthernkitchen.com/2012/01/caramel-apple-cake/#.VB8982AtDIU

Respected Contributor

Re: I Just Made the BEST Fresh Apple Caramel Cake!

Oh my! You just said the magic word...caramel! Thanks for posting this. I'm going to make it. I'm always looking for new apple cake recipes. This looks amazing!
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

Looks delicious, and I love apple cake so I'll have to make it! I have a different kind of cake in the oven now - recipe gotten here on the Food forum. There are just too many people here who make it really hard for a woman to keep her "girlish figure"!!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

This is perfect for family or work!

Honored Contributor

On 9/21/2014 Marienkaefer2 said: Oh my! You just said the magic word...caramel! Thanks for posting this. I'm going to make it. I'm always looking for new apple cake recipes. This looks amazing!

It actually tastes a LOT better than it looks in that picture!

At my bakery, they make it in a tube pan...it's pretty versatile.

You can just use a big bowl and a spoon to mix it...but I used my KitchenAid mixer on low....the batter is thick with all those apples!

Honored Contributor

On 9/21/2014 bluegrassbaby said:

Thanks for posting this, it sounds so delicious...have a wonderful trip to the Adirondaks...I bet it's beautiful up there this time of year.

Thanks...my friends just posted some fall pictures from their camp...it's already beautiful up there (about a 4 hour drive from my house).

Respected Contributor

On 9/21/2014 terrier3 said:
On 9/21/2014 Marienkaefer2 said: Oh my! You just said the magic word...caramel! Thanks for posting this. I'm going to make it. I'm always looking for new apple cake recipes. This looks amazing!

It actually tastes a LOT better than it looks in that picture!

At my bakery, they make it in a tube pan...it's pretty versatile.

You can just use a big bowl and a spoon to mix it...but I used my KitchenAid mixer on low....the batter is thick with all those apples!

Thanks for the tip...I'll use my KitchenAid. Have fun in the Adirondacks. I spent a lot of time there with my grandpa when I was a kid. Old Forge was,my favorite town. Smiley Happy terrier3, you've probably been to the Mohonk Mountain House in the Catskills. Another of my favorite places. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Regular Contributor

Thanks for this recipe.

Super Contributor

OMGosh! This looks so good. Caramel is my favorite flavor. I'm trying to lose weight, but I am going to have to indulge in this. Thanks, Terrier3.
Super Contributor

What a nice surprise for your family. I am sure it is delicious.