Honored Contributor

Better than fries? I'm going to try these tonight, since I've never met a potato I didn't like.

Here's the recipe. Has anyone tried these?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Better than fries? I'm going to try these tonight, since I've never met a potato I didn't like.

We have these occasionally. They are ok--but since I'm not someone who is very fond of potatoes, perhaps I am not a good judge. They are Hassleback potatoes and you can stuff them with things.

Honored Contributor

Re: Better than fries? I'm going to try these tonight, since I've never met a potato I didn't like.

I've never heard of these. I've never met a potato I didn't like either. Will have to try these.
Honored Contributor

I have two of them in the oven right now. I'll let you know what I think when we try them.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

They sound delicious and DH has never met a potato he didn't like. Gotta give them a try. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

The rage on FB is making hash browns in a George Foreman grill. Makes them really crispy on both sides w/out flipping. I haven't tried it, but the presentation is nice. Someone also made hash browns in a waffle iron, as well!! Hope this inspires!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Esteemed Contributor

I saw those potatoes in either Cooking Light or Bon Appetit.

Trying to cut the potatoes like that was maddening. You put a knife along the long side of the potato on both sides to guide the knife you are cutting with. Something always moved that wasn't supposed to. My boyfriend (way before DH) held the knives and got lacerated.

The next time, I tried to use an onion slicer. I made mashed potatoes.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Okay, here's my review... they were good, but not as good as my oven fries. I should have baked them covered for the first 45 minutes. DH said his wasn't done all the way through, but they would have burned around the edges if I'd left them in any longer.

I make oven fries by cutting thick fries, then coating them with oil and Herbs de Provence. I lay them in a single layer on a sprayed cookie sheet and pop them in the oven on Speed Bake for about 30 minutes. They are the best "fries" I've ever had.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

They look good, but I don't have the patience or dexterity to cut them that way. I think I'll just stick with oven "fried"
Trusted Contributor

I'm a potato lover too and I tried making those potatoes once. What a disaster. They weren't easy to cut through and I also had the not cooked through issue. Way too much trouble. That was a one and done recipe.

That hashbrown recipe looks good. I always buy hashbrowns when I'm at Trader Joe's, both the patties and the shredded ones in the bag. They're excellent.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*