Honored Contributor

I would love to see any different bread, rolls, etc. in this area of recipes, that you might share. I love bread and the smell of it. Please share some of your favorites. I don't think I've seen many of these or searched for many before. I think I'd really like to. Thanks!!

Super Contributor

Re: Ahh I love breads baking

the aroma of baking bread is indeed sinfully delicious!

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing makes me hungry as quick as the aroma of fresh baking bread! (I think I may need to get out my bread maker!) I've got a great bread machine cookbook with all kinds of breads in it.

Valued Contributor

I just made an "bread in an hour" recipe, pretty good and I found a "ciabatta" bread recipe that I am going to try out soon! Love the smell of fresh baked bread!! I'll post some of my recipes that I have tried later today!

Trusted Contributor

I dearly love baking breads and playing with yeast doughs. It's great therapy for me and when I get stressed-out by things, I usually find myself in the kitchen kneading dough. Here are some of my favorite recipes:

This recipe is from the Relish section of our local newspaper. Michael and Stephanie Magerkurth own Geppetto's in Seattle, Washington. This is their recipe for Garlic Parmesan Rolls. You must try these!!

Garlic Parmesan Rolls

1-1/2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
3 cups bread flour
2 Tbsp. salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
Topping:
2/3 cup pure olive oil
2-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup diced garlic
1/2 tsp. oregano

Sprinkle yeast and sugar over water in a large bowl. Stir until combined. Let stand until foamy, about ten minutes.

Add 2 cups bread flour and salt. Whisk vigorously until smooth, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining bread and all-purpose flours, 1/2 cup at a time, using a wooden spoon. The dough will form a shaggy mass and clear sides of bowl.

Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead about 5 minutes, adding more flour, one tablespoon at a time, as necessary, until dough is soft, silk and resilient. It should not be sticky.

Place in a greased bowl and turn once to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until tripled in bulk, 1-1/2 to 2 hours. (At this point, dough can be punched down and placed in the refrigerator to rise again overnight.)

Portion dough into 2-ounce rolls (about the size of a golf ball) and place on lightly greased rimmed baking sheet. (You can also shape the dough into three 16-ounce loaves, if desired.) Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 30 to 40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. To prepare topping, combine olive oil, Parmesan, garlic and oregano in a bowl until blended. Remove plastic wrap from rolls. Spoon topping over each roll.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Makes 24 rolls.

Sesame Onion Bread

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1-1/4 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
1 cup warm sour cream (110 to 115 degrees)
3 eggs (2 for the bread, 1 to mix with water for crust)
1 envelope onion soup mix
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
6-1/2 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. cold water
3 Tbsp. sesame seeds
Caramelized Onion Butter
1 Tbsp. diced onion
6 Tbsp. butter, softened, divided
1 garlic clove, minced
3 oz. cream cheese, cubed
1/2 tsp. minced fresh parsley

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water; let stand 5 minutes. Add sour cream, 2 eggs, onion soup mix, butter, sugar, salt, baking soda, and remaining warm water; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six portions. Shape each into a 15-inch rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid together. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Beat cold water and remaining egg; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.

In a large skillet, sauté onion in 1 tablespoon butter until golden brown. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until just golden.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, onion mixture, parsley, and remaining butter until creamy. Serve with the bread. Makes two loaves of bread and 2/3 cup butter.

This bread is really good. If you don't like a strong garlic flavor, go easy on the garlic.

Roasted Garlic Bread

2 medium whole garlic bulbs
2 tsp. olive oil
1 pkg active dry yeast (I use 2-1/4 tsp. instant yeast)
1 cup warm water (110 - 115 degrees)
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. minced fresh sage OR 2 tsp. rubbed sage
2 tsp. minced fresh marjoram OR 3/4 tsp. dried marjoram
1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary OR 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crumbled
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan, divided
1 Tbsp. butter, melted

Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulbs. Brush with oil. Wrap in foil and bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool about 15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into bowl and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt and one cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with nonstick cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, add the sage, marjoram and rosemary to the roasted garlic and set aside. (It doesn't say to do so, but I mashed the garlic with a fork, then added the herbs. It made a paste.)

Punch dough down. Turn onto a light floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 10 x 8-inch rectangle. Spread garlic mixture to within 1/2-inch of edges. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting at long edge. Pinch the seams and the ends to seal.

Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place loaves seam-side down on pan. Tuck ends under (mine looked like little baguettes when I was done). With a sharp knife, make several slashes across the top of the loaves. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks; brush each loaf with butter. Makes 2 loaves, each loaf should give 10 slices.

This is from Light & Tasty and the rolls are excellent. They are high in calories. One roll equals over 400 calories. But (and this is important, too), one roll is equal to only about 7 grams of fat....which I think is about 63 calories of fat. And that's not bad. They're not sticky buns or anything like that. But they are good.

Jumbo Pineapple Yeast Rolls

2 pkg (1/4 oz. each) active dry yeast
2 c. warm fat free milk (110-115 degrees), divided
1 c. sugar, divided
2 eggs
6 Tbsp. butter or stick margarine, softened
1 tsp. salt
7-8 c. flour

Filling:
1 Tbsp. butter or stick margarine
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 c. orange juice
1 can (8 oz.) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
1/3 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. grated orange peel
1/4 tsp. salt
15 maraschino cherries

Glaze:
1-1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
2 Tbsp. fat free milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm milk. Stir in 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, butter, salt, and remaining milk and sugar. Beat in 4 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

For Filling, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Add the orange juice, pineapple, sugar, orange peel and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and cool.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 24-inch x 12-inch rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2-inch of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with the long side. Pinch seam to seal. Cut into 15 slices. Place cut side down in a 13 x 9-inch pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Top each roll with a cherry.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over rolls. Yields 15 rolls.

Trusted Contributor

This is one of the easiest (and most delicious) bread recipes I have made. You can add herbs to it if you like.

No-Knead Bread

Published: November 8, 2006 in the NY Times

Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery
Time: About 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours’ rising

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.

Honored Contributor

I love the smell of bread baking also but having no self control I do not bake bread because I will eat it!!

Honored Contributor

When I was a kid a local restaurant had big puffy rolls that had a crispy top and were sort of light and stringy inside. They weren't popovers, but were rolls--just not really "bread-like" and dense inside like most rolls are. They were lighter and the outside was crispier. I LOVED them but have never been able to find a recipe that makes them like this.

Any ideas?

Honored Contributor

Yum. I can smell it now. I use the bread machine. I have made each of these & they are all yummy. Enjoy!!!

This is an easy bread to make with your bread machine, and it's a wonderful bread for sandwiches and toast.
Milk & Honey Bread
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns or Dinner Rolls

1 c water

1 egg

2 c all-purpose flour

1 c whole wheat flour

3/4 t salt

4 T butter

1/4 c brown sugar or white sugar

1 pack yeast

Place egg & water in bread machine, add flour, salt & sugar.

Cut each tablespoon of butter into 4 pieces & put around the edges of bread pan with yeast in the center.

Start bread machine for dough cycle.

Form dough into balls for rolls & flatten balls for hamburger buns.

Place on greased cooked sheet.

Turn oven on warm setting/low for 2 mins. then turn it off. Place covered dough in oven to rise until doubled 10 – 15 mins.

Makes 18 - 20 rolls depending on size.

Makes 10 -12 hamburger buns depending on size.

Bake in 400° for about 10 mins. more or less depending on your oven until lightly browned. Brush tops with butter.

Sometimes I form smaller balls & put 2 in each cup in a muffin pan & make 4 hamburger buns. Or I can make 8 rolls on a cookie sheet & 6 hamburger buns.

Wonder Bread Copycat
This is a delicious, buttery white bread that is
great for sandwiches, toast or just plain with butter.

This has the lightness and texture of Wonder Bread but with a nice buttery flavor.

2/3 cup lukewarm water
1 large egg
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons table salt
5 tablespoons soft butter (I used butter flavor Crisco)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons (or 1 packet) bread machine or instant yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine in order listed or
according to your bread machine mfg's directions.

Settings: White Bread, 1 1/2 lb loaf, Medium Crust.

Press Start.
Hyeit54 now Antilope/Q
Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman Bread for Bread Machine
1 1/4 cups warm black coffee (90-F - 100-F)
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp brown sugar or dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter, softened or melted
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp table salt
2 cups Bread Flour
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 1/4 tsp Bread Machine or Instant Yeast

Regular White Bread Cycle; 2 lb loaf; Medium crust.

Add ingredients to bread machine in order listed.

Set Bread machine to Regular White Bread Cycle; 2 lb loaf; Medium crust.

Press start.

Check the dough after about 5-minutes of kneading and add water or flour as
needed, a tablespoon at a time, to form a smooth, non-sticky ball of dough.
It should hold its own shape but not be so dry that it is crumbly.

When done, remove from pan and allow to cool before slicing.

Makes one 2-pound loaf of Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman Bread

Honey Butter

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup honey

Beat butter and honey together until creamy.
Serve at room temperature.

hyeit54 now Antilope /Q

Respected Contributor

I don't bake bread but B&BW had this candle called French baguette that smelled just like baking bread. I wish I had stocked up.