Respected Contributor

PAT IN THE PAN PIE CRUST, NO ROLL CRUSTS

No matter how many times I have tried to make a decent pie crust and have tried every no fail recipe friends gave me so, saw these posted and I posted them under another thread in kitchen and food talk but thought maybe some might want to look at them.

if you know of any other pat in the pan pie crusts please post them here.

Easy No-Roll Pie Crust Joy The Baker (the one that was recommended since the others only use oil)

makes 1 9-inch pie crust

Print this Recipe!

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoons sugar

1/8 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 cup (4 Tablespoon) frozen butter that has been grated on a cheese grater

1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used almond oil)

1 Tablespoon cream cheese, at room temperature

2 Tablespoons cold milk

In a medium sized bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Whisk together.

Add frozen butter that has been grated on a cheese grater and tablespoon of cream cheese. With your fingers, work the cream cheese and butter into the flour mixture, breaking the butter and cream cheese up until they’re in well incorporated into the flour. Some butter bits will be tiny, other the size of small peddles. The dough may even begin to some together in a rough, sandy kind of way.

Combine the milk and oil. Whisk together. Add all at once to the flour and butter mixture. With a fork, begin to combine the ingredients, making sure that all of the flour mixture is introduced to the liquid. The mixture does not need to come together into a ball. Leave it a bit shaggy and dump the dough into a clean 9-inch pie plate. With your fingers, press the dough evenly into the bottom of the pie plate and up the sides. Try to get the dough as even as possible, but don’t worry too much about finger indentations. You can’t fight that.

Place the prepared crust in the freezer while you preheat the oven and prepare your filling. If you’re going to pre-bake your crust, heat the oven to 350 degrees F and line the chilled pie crust with foil, weigh down with beans and bake for 10 minutes covered. Remove the foil and beans and bake for 4-6 minutes uncovered until golden brown.

If you need an unbaked pie crust, simply remove the crust from the freezer once your filling is made, fill your pie and place in a preheated oven. Bake according to your particular recipe.

Respected Contributor

Re: PAT IN THE PAN PIE CRUST, NO ROLL CRUSTS

The Easiest, Tastiest No-Roll Pie Crust Ever

3 cups (12 ounces) King Arthur Mellow Pastry Blend
1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/8 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup (4 3/4 ounces) light olive oil*
1/3 cup (2 3/4 ounces) cold water

*For best flavor, use light or extra-light olive oil.

Stir together the dry ingredients. Stir together the wet ingredients. Combine the two, stirring just to blend. Divide the mixture in half; it'll make two single crusts, or one crust plus a streusel topping.

Press half the pastry into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan, crimping the edges. Use the other half to make the bottom crust for another pie. Or put it back in the mixing bowl, add 1/3 cup (2 1/2 ounces) brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and mix till it becomes moist/crumbly. Fill your prepared crust, spread the topping over the filling, and bake as directed.

Respected Contributor

Butter Crust - Flakey Pastry by Gloria Pitzer

1/4 lb butter
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
Pinch of cinnamon

Melt butter in small pan without letting it change color - or better yet, in large mixing bowl in microwave on defrost.

While butter is still hot, have the other 4 ingredients all in one cup and dump into hot butter beating with electric mixer on high speed 30 seconds or till mixture leaves center of bowl and clings to sides of bowl.

Quickly gather dough into a ball and just as quickly pat out over bottom and up sides of Pam spray 9" or 10" pie pan.

Bake at 375F 22-25 minutes or til golden brown. Makes one crust.

Respected Contributor

Press-in-the-Pan Crust (from Betty Crocker and Pillsbury)

1 1/2 cups Original Bisquick® mix
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons boiling water
In medium bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups Bisquick mix and 1/4 cup softened butter with fork until crumbly. Add boiling water; stir vigorously with fork until dough forms. Gather into ball. Press firmly and evenly against bottom and up side of ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate; flute edge.

Pat-in-the-Pan Pie Crust Recipe

This pie crust requires no rolling pin—it's just simply patted into the pan.—Mrs. Anton Sohrwiede, McGraw, New York

ingredients

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons cold butter
  • 1 Egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 tbsp. milk

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and milk; stir into flour mixture (dough will be sticky). Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9 or 10-in. pie plate.
  2. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Fill as desired.
  3. If baking the filling, cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Yield: 1 pie crust (9 inches).
Respected Contributor

Alice’s No Roll Pie Crust Recipe
Ingredients:

Makes 1 shell

1.5 cups of All-Purpose flour

1/2 stick of cold butter (4 Tbl.) cubed

4 Tbl. shortening

pinch of salt

1 Tbl. of sugar if using for a sweet filled pie. If using this recipe for a savory pie, omit sugar.

1 tsp. white vinegar
*up to 2 tablespoons of cold water if needed

Directions:

Using a food processor, pulsate flour, butter, shortening, salt, and sugar until the mixture resembles coarse corn meal. If you don’t have a food processor you can use a fork or your fingers. Add vinegar to the mixture and 1/2 Tbl. of cold water at a time until you get a workable dough. What is a workable dough? When the dough has enough elasticity that you can roll it out on a floured surface without it crumbling on you. You want to be careful only to add 1/2 Tbl. at a time because you also don’t want to have it too wet. You just want to add enough water to your dough so it is workable.

Instead of rolling the dough out, I grab a handful of dough and pat it into my pie plate (which has been coated with non-stick spray). As you pat the dough down, make sure you do it as evenly as possible. You want the crust to be approx. 1/8? high. Use any remaining dough to make “dough” strands to attach to the edging. To do this, take a ball of dough and rub your palms together back and forth to make a 1/4? thick strand. Place the strand around the edge of the pie plate. Crimp the edges of your pie crust by using a fork or your fingers.

I like to poke the bottom of my pie plate with a fork all over.

Use this crust for all any recipe calling for pie-crust. Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

These are easy pie dough recipes for those having problems.

The pie crusts taste delicious, as I have a neighbor who also cannot make a good pie crust, no matter how often she helps me make them for bake sales.

I gave her a few of these recipes a while ago, and she loves them.

Everyone can enjoy them whether you are a master pie maker, or can't make a good pie crust, you can now with many of these recipes.

Thanks for posting them doglover3.

Honored Contributor

Yes, thank you! Me and a flaky, rolled pie crust have a love hate relationship! I would love to make one...and hate every one I have ever made!

I have resorted to tarts and cheesecakes w/ fruit filling in lieu of my lousy pies!

I will have to try one of these this holiday season!

Super Contributor

Wow and I thought I was the only one. I can make a great pie crust as long as there is no rolling pin involved. Over the years, I have tried various recipes and techniques, but the results are always the same, awful. I gave up on using a rolling pin and decided to stick with what worked best, the recipe on the can of Crisco and the pat in the pan method. I use a pastry blender for blending the flour, salt and Crisco until I get the coarse crumbs, then I add 5 tablespoons of really cold water and mix with a large fork until the forms a nice ball, flatten into a disc that I work with my hands so it gets flatter, thinner and bigger, put in a pie pan, pushing from the center out with my fingers and knuckles until I the dough hangs over the edge and lastly trim the excess, which turns into pie crust cookies. It always turns out nice and flaky and delicious. No more awful pie crust. Thanks for posting this.

tkins

Valued Contributor

Thanks for posting these, doglover3!! They all seem very easy but the first recipe in your OP sounds very good! Will try it when I make one of those great apple pies in the other thread!! Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

Oh, thank you! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I'm a terrific baker (or so everyone says), but one thing I can't seem to perfect is pie crusts. I confess I buy the pre-made kind that you just unfold. (Shhh...don't tell anyone! Wink)