Contributor
When I was a child, my mother made a brown sugar tapioca pudding, using large pearl tapiocas. I don't have the recipe and hope someone does! Thanks
Honored Contributor

I just BINGED it. Did you BING or GOOGLE before you posted here? Here's one recipe.

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Grandma-Mary_s-Brown-Sugar-Pudding-Food_com-160338?columns=3&position=7...

Respected Contributor

BROWN SUGAR TAPIOCA PUDDING from cooks.com

4 tbsp. tapioca
2 c. cold water
1 c. dark brown sugar
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped nuts
Soak tapioca in 1 cup of cold water for 10 minutes. Beat the egg yolks and add the sugar and the rest of the water; add tapioca. Mix; cook in a double boiler for 30 minutes. Fold in rest of ingredients; pour into a glass dish and chill. Serve with plain or whipping cream.

Super Contributor
On 9/17/2014 doglover3 said:

BROWN SUGAR TAPIOCA PUDDING from cooks.com

4 tbsp. tapioca
2 c. cold water
1 c. dark brown sugar
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped nuts
Soak tapioca in 1 cup of cold water for 10 minutes. Beat the egg yolks and add the sugar and the rest of the water; add tapioca. Mix; cook in a double boiler for 30 minutes. Fold in rest of ingredients; pour into a glass dish and chill. Serve with plain or whipping cream.

This is just like the recipe my mother made for us but w/o nuts. & yummy warm or cold! (:

Valued Contributor

I know I'm going to sound dumb, but is it really necessary to soak the tapioca in cold water first? I've never used pearl tapioca. The only tapioca I've made is the non-pearl type which, I guess, doesn't require soaking. At least, there's nothing about doing this on the box's instructions. Would appreciate being educated about this. Thanks.

Contributor
Thank you so much! Dog lovers recipe sounds like the one I remember!
Honored Contributor

Tons of recipes for Pearl Tapioca on Pinterest. Just list Pearl Tapioca in the search box and they all pop up with pictures. Just Google pinterest if you do not have an account to get to main page.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor
On 9/17/2014 qualityshopper said:

I know I'm going to sound dumb, but is it really necessary to soak the tapioca in cold water first? I've never used pearl tapioca. The only tapioca I've made is the non-pearl type which, I guess, doesn't require soaking. At least, there's nothing about doing this on the box's instructions. Would appreciate being educated about this. Thanks.

You don't sound dumb, I didn't even know there was such a thing as large pearl tapioca. I think we probably use the same kind that take a minute in a red box. It has the pearls, but they are pre-cooked so no soaking is required. Like you I was curious, I found some great information on a website that carries the large tapioca pearls and apparently whatever kind they carry and the recipe that comes with it makes very happy customers not one bad review out of the 49+ reviews http://www.nuts.com/cookingbaking/tapioca/large-pearl.html They also carry the smaller tapioca pearls and both types do have to be soaked, how long depends on the size of the pearl.

I do love tapioca pudding, especially when the weather starts to get chilly. Now if I could just find some plain old cook and serve custard, I'd be really happy. Hope this helps.

tkins

Super Contributor

This sounds wonderful, will have to get some tapioca pearls and give the recipe a try. Thanks for jogging my memory back to childhood and tapioca pudding.

tkins

Respected Contributor

I just googled it and clicked on the ones that sounded like they may be it. This one from cooks.com sounded the best. Hope you like it. I too plan on trying it, love tapioca pudding.