Trusted Contributor

I would like for you all to share you favorite pasta recipes. I'm looking for tried and true recipes. I was at Williams Sonoma on Sunday and they made a good Alfredo Sauce with Heavy Cream, Butter and Parmesan Cheese. It was Ok just kind of bland. Then they prepared a Pesto with Arugula, Toasted Pine Nuts, Parmesan Cheese and Olive Oil. I have never had this before. I really liked it. I make Spaghetti and Meatballs, Lasagna, and a few other recipes since I love Italian, I hope you have some other recipes to share. Thanks so much Katey! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Trusted Contributor

Spaghetti with Meatballs tonight.

Honored Contributor
Hi Katey1261....tried to think of pasta sauces,..still thinking.....have marinara sauce....maybe tomorrow...stay tuned.
Trusted Contributor
On 9/9/2014 walker said: Hi Katey1261....tried to think of pasta sauces,..still thinking.....have marinara sauce....maybe tomorrow...stay tuned.

Thanks walker! Smile I can wait.

Valued Contributor

wish i could ask Emeril for his gaaaaaahlic sauce recipe. that stuff is addictive

Super Contributor
Respected Contributor

Penne with Vodka Sauce. This is a good recipe. I'm not a huge fan of vodka sauces but this one is a date-night favorite with many. You can throw in tiny bay shrimp or a mix of shrimp and bay scallops to gild the lily

Penne alla Vodka

Salt

One 35-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes (preferably San Marzano) with their liquid

1 pound penne

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

10 cloves garlic, peeled (this sounds like a lot; don't panic. You will fish the cloves out of the pan after they cook.)

Crushed hot red pepper

1/4 cup vodka

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil for finishing the sauce, if you like

2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley

3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for passing if you like

Bring 6 quarts of salted water to boil in an 8-quart pot over high heat.

Pour the tomatoes and their liquid into the work bowl of a food processor. Using quick on/off pulses, process the tomatoes just until they are finely chopped. (Long processing will aerate the tomatoes, turning them pink.)

Stir the penne into the boiling water. Bring the water back to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook the pasta, semi-covered, stirring occasionally, until done, 8 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Whack the garlic cloves with the side of a knife and add them to the oil. Cook, shaking the skillet until the garlic is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Lower the work bowl with the tomatoes close to the skillet and carefully – they will splatter – slide the tomatoes into the pan. Bring to a boil, season lightly with salt and generously with crushed red pepper, and boil 2 minutes. Pour in the vodka, lower the heat so the sauce is at a lively simmer, and simmer until the pasta is ready.

Just before the pasta is done, fish the garlic cloves out of the sauce and pour in the cream. Add 2 tablespoons butter or oil, if using, and swirl the skillet to incorporate into the sauce. If the skillet is large enough to accommodate the sauce and pasta, fish the pasta out of boiling water with a large wire skimmer and drop it directly into the sauce in the skillet. If not, drain the pasta, return it to the pot, and pour in the sauce. Bring the sauce and pasta to a boil, stirring to coat the pasta with sauce. Check seasonings and add salt and red pepper if necessary. Sprinkle the parsley over the pasta and boil until the sauce is reduced enough to cling to the pasta. Remove the pot from the heat, sprinkle 3/4 cup of the cheese on the pasta and toss to mix. Serve immediately, passing more cheese. Makes 6 servings.

Honored Contributor

I start with a jar of Paul Newman's roasted tomato and garlic or roasted peppers and garlic. I add one lb. low fat ground beef, pre-browned with chopped onions and green peppers. (I put onions and peppers or onions and celery into about everything) I also add two cans of diced tomatoes to cut down the garlic a bit. Simmer for an hour or so. This is better than any homemade sauce I have ever come up with.

Honored Contributor

I make pesto using basil and fresh spinach. This time I cut some of my parsley and chives and put that in with the greens too. Toasted up some walnuts and added lemon juice and parm cheese with olive oil and whirred it together in my Cuisinart. The spinach tones down the basil a little and then you don't have to use as much basil unless you have a ton of it in your garden. Goes so great over any pasta, in sauces and soups and fish or as the base for pizzas. Also freezes well.

Respected Contributor
There are so many ways to make pesto: look it up and you will see all sorts of greens, nuts, and oils being used and you can get endless variations. This is not classic Alfredo, but that's another sauce you have room to play with. I have made lighter versions by reducing chicken stock and adding a splash of cream as opposed to using a cream base. I have used goat cheese and I have played around with feta and got tasty results. Roasted garlic is a delightful addition to any sauce-especially beurre blanc. Poodlepet