Respected Contributor

Blueberry Pancakes: my husband's delicious mistake

This morning my loving husband treated me to breakfast: he went all out, too. The menu included potatoes, eggs, sausage, and my favorite-blueberry pancakes. He made the pancakes using Jiffy blueberry pancake mix, but he also wanted to put fresh blueberries in. Instead of grabbing blueberries, he grabbed a container of Thomcord grapes! He thought it was "funny" that what he thought were blueberries were on a vine, but these days, they are doing all kinds of things with hybridization, right? Well, as he was cooking the pancakes, he noticed that the "berries" we're turning red. That's when he decided to take a second look at the container and discovered his mistake. He served them to me and I swooned at the first bite:moist, juicy-but there was a strong sweet "grapey" flavor. He told me what happened and I told him he needs to buy more of these grapes while we can. These little grapes are delicious for snacking, but I urge you to try baking with them....and I have a feeling they would make a great compote. Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

Re: Blueberry Pancakes: my husband's delicious mistake

I'm on my way out to the supermarket in a few minutes. I'm glad I spotted your post, I'm going to try these.....and might just have to make some gluten free "blueberry" pancakes on my husband's work from home day this week! These grapes are relatively low in calories and provide resveratrol...both good points in my book!

Honored Contributor

Bummer, they didn't have them at my supermarket. My trip to Costco was a bust, I didn't know they closed for the holiday today. I'll probably run up there Wednesday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll find some of these grapes. Too bad hubby's WFH day is Wednesday. I'll have to put the pancakes off until the weekend.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks to a post by Honny Brown, I purchased them at Trader Joe's.
Esteemed Contributor

JLF, you can get them at Trader Joe's (thanks va!).

PoodlePet, did you swoon? {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} My hubby thought they were blueberries as well. They didn't last long.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

On 9/1/2014 HonnyBrown said:

PoodlePet, did you swoon? {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} My hubby thought they were blueberries as well. They didn't last long.

HB - I would jump for joy, if we had a TJ's in my area. Unfortunately, the closest one is over an hour away.

Honored Contributor

You know you can freeze grapes for eating through the long, dark winter?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I am indeed entertaining the idea of freezing them. I am so hoping that my grocery has more in stock when I go shopping tomorrow. Poodlepet
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/1/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 9/1/2014 HonnyBrown said:

HB - I would jump for joy, if we had a TJ's in my area. Unfortunately, the closest one is over an hour away.

The TJs in MD are not very good. Every few months, I go to a large one 30 miles away.

That's a big deal for me because when I lived in LA they were my corner store.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/1/2014 kachina624 said: You know you can freeze grapes for eating through the long, dark winter?

I will freeze grapes for a snack, but never thought to keep them in the freezer until winter.

DUH!