Valued Contributor

any good vegetarian recipes ?

Thank you!
Frequent Contributor

Re: any good vegetarian recipes ?

This is one of my favorite vegetarian recipes. I also add carrots.

http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/chkpeacurry.htm

Super Contributor

Hi Persephone! I have a tendency to just throw things together w/out a real recipe. But when I sometimes cook for my vegetarian son, I just modify what I'd usually make...like using veggie stock instead of chicken stock when making broccoli/cheese soup, and skipping the meat in a marinara.

Sometimes I make a pot of ratatouille (w/out the eggplant!) and serve it over mashed or baked potatoes, or sometimes over polenta.

Last night we had Japanese cabbage pancakes! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Esteemed Contributor

Pick up a vegetarian cook book from the library!

I was in a cookbook club and got one; I'm far from a vegetarian. It's an excellent book and I still use it to make side dishes.

Here's one of my faves from Cooking Light:

White Bean and Vegetable Stew with Red Wine Sauce

Ingredients
2 cups dried cannellini or other white beans (about 12 ounces)
1 onion, peeled
2 whole cloves
8 cups water
6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
2 cups thinly sliced leeks
2 cups (1-inch) cubed chopped peeled celeriac (celery root) or 2 cups sliced celery
1 cup (2-inch-thick) sliced carrot
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
4 tablespoons chilled butter or stick margarine, divided
2/3 cup diced shallots
1 cup dry red wine

Preparation

Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil, and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans, and discard soaking liquid. Return beans to pan.

Cut onion in half. Stud one onion half with cloves; dice remaining onion half. Add clove-studded onion, diced onion, 8 cups water, 1/4 cup parsley, 1/2 cup diced celery, and next 4 ingredients (diced celery through bay leaves) to beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Discard clove-studded onion and bay leaves. Add leeks, celeriac, and sliced carrot; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until sliced carrot is tender. Drain bean mixture in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 1/2 cups liquid. Return bean mixture to pan. Stir in pepper and garlic.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, and saute 3 minutes. Add wine, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until liquid almost evaporates (about 8 minutes). Remove from heat. Cut 2 tablespoons butter into small pieces, and add wine mixture, stirring until well-blended. Gently stir butter mixture into bean mixture. Stir in reserved cooking liquid, and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Garnish with 2 tablespoons chopped parsley.

Note: Celeriac (seh-LER-ay-ak), also called celery root, is a knobby, brown-skinned root vegetable that can be found in most markets from September through May. You can substitute regular celery if you prefer a milder flavor.

January 1999
Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

One of my favorite vegetarian meals is ratatouille. I don't have a real recipe, I just throw stuff in a pot, but this is how I make it:

1) Cut up eggplant, zucchini, onion, green pepper, garlic. I cube everything except the garlic is minced. You can add other vegetables if you like. I sometimes add mushrooms just because I like them.

2) Saute everything in olive oil. The eggplant really needs to be well cooked, until it is soft.

3) Add a jar of spaghetti sauce (or homemade), some Greek olives (or just California black olives), Italian seasoning or Herbes de Provence, and a can of garbanzo (ceci or chickpeas) beans, drained. If I have red wine, I put some of that in there. However you like your red sauce.

4) Let everything cook and the flavors meld. The longer you cook it, the better it is. It is really good reheated the next day.

5) I like to serve ratatouille over couscous, made according to the package (usually just boil the water, then add the couscous, turn off the heat, and let it sit for 5 minutes). I soak some raisins in hot water for 5 minutes or so, drain them, and then add them to the couscous. The raisins are optional, but it gives a nice sweet surprise to the dish.

Overall, it's a pretty easy recipe.

Esteemed Contributor

I love vegetarian lasagna. I make it with vegetables I have on hand, usually, and use all sorts of non-traditional cheeses in the layers (pepper jack is excellent). I use regular old lasagna sheets, uncooked. I usually use a red sauce (love Ro-Tel in it, too), but I have done it with various other sauces. Anything with enough moisture to cook the pasta, and i always layer sauce first in the bottom of my (dare I say it) 9x13 Temp-tations dish. I cover it for the majority of the cooking time, then uncover and top with cheese. Surprisingly, one of the best has been with the American cheese slices my husband likes on his sandwiches. Like a good old bourgeois mac and cheese, and lasagna, combined.

If you'd prefer no cheese, that works also. Fresh tomatoes and spinach and yellow squash and mushrooms release moisture that aids in the "lasagna stew". Yum. Oh and red onions. Whatever you like. Pickled peppers are excellent . . .

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

On 10/20/2014 Vamp said:

One of my favorite vegetarian meals is ratatouille. I don't have a real recipe, I just throw stuff in a pot, but this is how I make it:

...I soak some raisins in hot water for 5 minutes or so, drain them, and then add them to the couscous. The raisins are optional, but it gives a nice sweet surprise to the dish.

Overall, it's a pretty easy recipe.

Just this past week I saw someone make this on TV and they added a couple dates to simmer with the veg. Never thought of adding sweetness but sounds like a good idea. I keep dates in the freezer for smoothies or breakfast dishes. - Bird

Esteemed Contributor

I am one of those people who have to force myself to eat veggies (unless it's potatoes).

Made this 4 times already it is so good, didn't have any garlic and used and onion and celery instead and it was amazing all ways.

Recipe For Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
10 mins
Total time
20 mins
Substitute this recipe for cauliflower mashed potatoes for regular mashed potatoes low-carb alternative. Easy to alter for paleo and vegan diets.
Author: A Sweet Pea Chef
Recipe type: Easy
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1 medium head of cauliflower
  • 3 whole cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1-2 tbsp. chicken broth or almond milk
  • ? cup grated parmesan cheese
  • ½ tsp. kosher salt
  • ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
Instructions
  1. Heat a large stock pot (with steamer attachment) over high heat until boiling.
  2. Remove the stem from the cauliflower and cut into pieces for steaming. Add the cauliflower and garlic cloves to a steaming basket and place over boiling water. Cover and steam until cauliflower is soft when poked with a fork, about 6-8 minutes. (Tip: If you let the cauliflower cool down a bit after it’s done steaming, it’ll dry out a bit, which makes it much easier to get a good texture on the mash. It also lets you add other flavorful liquids to balance out the moisture content.)
  3. Add the steamed cauliflower and garlic to a food processor (or, if you'd prefer, mix in a large bowl with an immersion blender or a potato masher). Add the parmesan, salt and pepper.
  4. Pulse the food processor until all contents are mostly smooth. You want some texture here, but not a lot. You may need to scrape the sides of the blender or to move around the cauliflower to make sure it all gets mashed. Use the chicken broth (or almond milk), tbsp. by tbsp., as needed to bring the mixture together. Try not to use too much as this will cause the mixture to get soupy. You want to keep it as thick as possible (like mashed potatoes).
  5. Serve hot. Feel free to garnish with some butter, chives or whatever you like on your mashed potatoes.

eta, I don't buy any canned or boxed broths but had almond milk and it was great, but also ran out of that and just added butter instead and all times it tasted so good. It is really an easy quick cook. Only used my 3 qt stock pot and filled it halfway with water cause I didn't want to take the steam rack out.

Trusted Contributor

I just read this recipe on the hosts' blog page moments ago so I haven't tried it but certainly intend to soon. It looks really good and a healthier version of fried rice.

Sandra Bennett's Cauliflower Mock Fried Rice Tutorial

http://community.qvc.com/blogs/kitchen/topic/475929/cauliflower-mock-fried-rice-recipe.aspx

Super Contributor

This is one of our favorites:

Dom DeLuise's Vegetable Stew

4 T olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 onions, sliced
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 celery stalks, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
10-oz frozen peas
18-oz can stewed tomatoes
28-oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 t oregano
8 leaves of fresh basil, coarsely chopped
10-12 mushrooms, quartered
pepper

In a large pan gently heat the oil, add the garlic and onions, and sautè for a few minutes, then add the carrots, celery, potatoes and peas. Add both kinds of tomatoes, pepper, oregano and basil, and simmer for 40 minutes, until the carrots are just tender. Then add mushrooms and allow the stew to cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Delicious with hot bread. Serves 6.