Contributor

Another freezing question......................

We have lots and lots of summer and zucchini squash -- eat it daily and share w/neighbors and friends. But still have more. I was wondering if one can freeze these veggies and how would one do it? Turning to you RS experts for help. Thanks in advance.
=^..^=

Honored Contributor

Re: Another freezing question......................

I have a ton too from my garden, I just slice them and then vacuum seal them and toss in the chest freezer.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

No, I wouldn't as zucchini and similar squash have too much water. Google the topic and see what U find.

Honored Contributor

We just slice our squash and put it in a freezer bag. Since our preferred way to eat it is to roll in egg wash, meal and flour, and brown in a skillet, it works fine. This is another frozen vegetable we use right away, and is not in the freezer very long.

Valued Contributor

I think Zuchinni just turns to mush after it is frozen, doesn't it? I have frozen it grated for Zuchinni bread but that is all.

Contributor

My husband has offered to slice and freeze the abundance so will give it a try. Thanks all.
=^..^=

Esteemed Contributor

I buy a vegetable mixture from Schwan's that has yellow squash and zucchini in it and it cooks up like fresh squash.

Super Contributor

Frozen zucchini adds body to soups; it pretty much disappears if it's a slow simmered recipe, or a pressure cooker one. It's fine in smoothies. And you can do a zucchini sauce for pasta ( or spaghetti squash) by shredding it, salting and draining, then add to a pot in which you've sauteed onion and garlic in olive oil. This takes a long time because the water has to reduce so it's thick enough, but it's surprisingly tasty and freezes very well.