Honored Contributor

How do you make your meatballs soft

Do you fry them, bake them or cook then directly in the sauce or gravy.

I am making a pot right now ground turkey and sausage, 2 eggs, panko bread crumbs and a little milk.

I am simmering them in jarred sauce

thanks in advance all

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Re: How do you make your meatballs soft

I was just watching an episode of America's Test Kitchen over the weekend when they made slow-cooker meatballs. They partially cooked the meatballs in the microwave oven & it was astounding how much fat they were able to drain off! Then they put them in the sauce to finish cooking.

I know that didn't answer your question, but I thought it was an interesting technique that I think I'll try next time I make meatballs. Also, since they were cooking in the slow-cooker, they didn't use cracker crumbs in the meatballs, they used some shredded mozarella to help hold them together.

Honored Contributor

On 8/4/2014 VCamp2748 said:

I was just watching an episode of America's Test Kitchen over the weekend when they made slow-cooker meatballs. They partially cooked the meatballs in the microwave oven & it was astounding how much fat they were able to drain off! Then they put them in the sauce to finish cooking.

I know that didn't answer your question, but I thought it was an interesting technique that I think I'll try next time I make meatballs. Also, since they were cooking in the slow-cooker, they didn't use cracker crumbs in the meatballs, they used some shredded mozarella to help hold them together.

Since I am using ground turkey I do not think there is all that much fat in the meat ball to begin with

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

I use stale Italian bread soaked in water (some people might use milk) - once thoroughly soaked, remove crusts and squeeze dry before adding to meat mix - this is in lieu of breadcrumbs, etc. They always come out light and fluffy. My wonderful Italian aunt who taught me to cook used to fry them before adding them to the sauce, but I bake mine (less work and fewer fat calories).

Frequent Contributor

I typically make a panade instead of using bread crumbs when making meatballs, as I also like to use ground turkey to make meatballs. It imparts the right binding, moisture and textured balance to make the meatballs tender and still hold up well while cooking in a sauce. I use this method also when I'm making a meatloaf. But this is just what I do :-)

Frequent Contributor

On 8/4/2014 dfyre said:

I use stale Italian bread soaked in water (some people might use milk) - once thoroughly soaked, remove crusts and squeeze dry before adding to meat mix - this is in lieu of breadcrumbs, etc. They always come out light and fluffy. My wonderful Italian aunt who taught me to cook used to fry them before adding them to the sauce, but I bake mine (less work and fewer fat calories).

:-) And they are super delicious this way, aren't they?

Respected Contributor

My Mother and Grandmother were accomplished cooks and taught me to use stale bread and remove the ends then soak the bread in some milk and squeeze most of the milk out. Then crumble and add to meat mixture and mix well.

I also add ready seasoned dry breadcrumbs, some parmesan cheese, and other spices as well a 2 beaten eggs.

After everything is mixed well I finish off with one tablespoon of water and do the final mix.

I usually bake elevated on the rack in the convection cycle until browned well, then drain on paper towels and freeze in zip lock bags, or place in simmering meat sauce.

This amount of liquid in the meat mixture is what ensures the end result of the meatballs always turn out soft and delicious.

Super Contributor

I simmer mine in tomato juice before adding them to the sauce...
Respected Contributor

I use 1 egg per pound of meat.......I noticed you said 2 eggs but I am not sure how much meat you are using. The egg binds the meatballs together but can also make them hard. I also add a little water and a small amount of oil to mine but the oil would defeat your purpose. Be careful on the amount of breadcrumbs that you use. I use Progresso Italian Breadcrumb for a little more flavor.

Valued Contributor

Don't use the leanest meat and you have to put some kind of liquid in the meat (milk, some sauce, ketchup) and cook low and slow.