Trusted Contributor

Baking cupcakes with a marshmallow inside the batter?

I've made Lizzy Early's Peanut Butter S'Mores cupcakes a few times, however, the toasted marshmallow on top is a bit unwieldy. I was thinking I could bake a marshmallow right inside the cupcake, but then thought that it might disintegrate or cause the cupcake to not rise correctly.

I just finished a batch and dug a little hole in each cupcake and filled it with marshmallow creme. It works, but is a messy additional step.

Anyway, I just thought I'd take a survey of all of you expert bakers and see if anyone's ever baked a marshmallow inside a cupcake.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever tried.....?

you are correct, after you bake the marshmallow it will be gone

Trusted Contributor

Just a thought, but what if you froze the marshmallows first, would they still dissolve completely?

Esteemed Contributor

My friend makes cupcakes with frosting in the center of the cupcake...YUM!

Respected Contributor

They're right - if you bake the marshmallow into the cupcake, it'll melt and disappear

If you don't want to mess with the marshmallow on top, you can do this, which works well: As soon as you remove the cupcakes from the oven, use a cupcake corer to cut a hole about 1/2" deep in each one, and IMMEDIATELY put a marshmallow into it. The heat of the cupcake will melt the marshmallow. The marshmallow will stick out the top at first, but don't cut deeper - the marshmallow will melt into the hole; otherwise you'll have a big dent on top of the cupcake.

I have another s'mores cupcake recipe that's excellent - I'll post it later.

Trusted Contributor

FHG, that sounds like a good solution. I didn't mind coring the little hole in the cupcake today, but using the marshmallow creme was a hot mess! Sticky fingers and sticky everywhere! Using a real marshmallow and just waiting might be the ticket!

Can't wait to see your s'mores recipe! Bring it on!

(For some reason, I've having a real hankering for anything S'mores lately - including the real thing! S'mores and watermelon.)

Trusted Contributor

On 7/24/2014 colliegirls said:

I have used mini peanut butter cups baked inside, frosted with peanut butter frosting - terrific. They melt just enough.

Super Contributor

On 7/24/2014 Sammijo said:
On 7/24/2014 colliegirls said:

I have used mini peanut butter cups baked inside, frosted with peanut butter frosting - terrific. They melt just enough.

Peanut butter cups inside, and peanut butter icing....sign me up!!!
Super Contributor

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/homemade-marshmallows-recipe.html

Speaking of the humble marshmallow - I make them from scratch - their my no. 1 request for foodie gifts of family & friends!

Here's a good one from Barefoot Contessa - easy, so easy that you'll never buy another prepackaged again - honest. . .

Trusted Contributor

Well, the marshmallow creme in the hole as 'filling' melted into the cake. Probably the reason Lizzy Early puts the toasted marshmallow on top.

I'll try the dry marshmallow approach next. But also had a thought to try this same recipe/technique with Nutella instead of peanut butter.