Esteemed Contributor

quick summertime meal? I like to cook, but not in this heat!

Regular Contributor

I like to grill out a meat or veggie and add a salad during the summer. I also love quick pasta dishes. My favorite is angel hair pasta, fresh spinach and roasted garlic (but you can use regular if you don't have any roasted) sauteed in olive oil. It does not take very long to make and is very good!

Honored Contributor

Crockpot anything, if I don't even want to use a stove.

I like barbecue pulled pork, but I don't have a favorite recipe, I just wing it with bottled BBQ sauce from my favorite local BBQ place.

If I don't mind using a stove, I like to make a pasta salad with macaroni and tuna or this Ginger Honey Cashew Chicken recipe.

I like shredded pork with Chinese Five Spices, too. This was a good one.

Sorry I don't have many recipes I can help you with. A lot of the time I don't use them.

Super Contributor

When it's hot, & know I'm gonna be busy w/ no time to cook, I love to have the fixings for Caesar salad on hand. Only 5 ingredients: chopped Romaine, good Caesar dressing, a lemon, fresh Parmesan, and croutons, and you're in business!

Add some sliced, grilled chicken, or splurge, & bring home some fat scallops or shrimp which cook up super quick, & top the salad w/ them for a fast & yummy meal.

Tuna salad on a big bowl of greens & tomatoes is also delish.

What do you make, Zhills?

Super Contributor
My very favorite is a chilled fruit plate with a big variety of fruit, a little of everything and starring a wedge of Brie cheese and bakery fresh baguette; fruits are: Per serving: 1/2 white peach or white nectarine Few pcs pineapple chunks Banana slices Strawberries Green grapes Cantaloupe slice Small wedge of seedless watermelon Any favorite fruits should work.
Esteemed Contributor

I have always leaned toward sandwiches for lunch but I have given up bread and it is a challenge to eat without it. Pasta salads or meat salads on saltines. Sometimes I roast veggies in my mini oven earlier in the day to have for later. Don't eat dairy so cheeses are limited. Just fruit gets old. Often make Ninja 'ice cream' in the afternoon for a snack. Loving these suggestions!

Super Contributor

No bread & no dairy is a toughie! Not even Ezekiel bread? It's fairly low carb, if it's carbs & not gluten that you're avoiding.

My son is vegetarian, and makes a fast 'red bean spread' to smear on those whole grain crackers that are sort of like melba toast, & tops the spread w/ thick sliced tomatoes. It's just dark red kidney beans, salsa & a few squirts of ketchup thrown into the food processor! Sometimes w/ some Tapatio thrown in for heat. Looks like play dough, but it's really quite tasty. Even my mom who's in her 90s will eat it! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Trusted Contributor

My favorite summer time meal when it's really hot and I don't want to heat anything up in the kitchen is to make a strawberry salad. I use organic spring mix and add chopped red onions, toasted slivered almonds, crumbles of feta cheese, and sliced strawberries. I top it with my homemade dressing I make with EVOO, apple cider vinegar, some Italian seasoning, and a little stevia for sweetness. I sometimes added some chilled shrimp for a little extra protein.

Contributor

That's right - summer is too short (at least here in Canada) to waste time on cookingSmiley Wink BBQ meat with some salad is usually great, and it provides not only a meal but the whole experience where you can hang out with the family, enjoy some beer etc. Other than that, I really enjoy guacamole with some chips (I use plantain, they are a bit healthier). Fresh aroma of cilantro combined with lime are excellent for summer. And avocado is soooo good for you!

Regular Contributor
On 7/24/2014 svli_2000 said:

That's right - summer is too short (at least here in Canada) to waste time on cookingSmiley Wink BBQ meat with some salad is usually great, and it provides not only a meal but the whole experience where you can hang out with the family, enjoy some beer etc. Other than that, I really enjoy guacamole with some chips (I use plantain, they are a bit healthier). Fresh aroma of cilantro combined with lime are excellent for summer. And avocado is soooo good for you!

Agreed! I looove me some guac!